Views
Helpful
Replies

Renaming cameras

dean-lamb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Maybe a silly question but, if I rename cameras will this break the archive associated with the camera.  I thought I had seen or heard this at some point but, I tried searching and found nothing on the forums.  I have a lot of cameras that have an "S1" attached to the beginning of the camera name after an upgrade/ replacement of a server and I also wanted to rename the cameras to match physical location since the vendor that installed the cameras didn't have that info when they installed them.  I am running version 6.3.2 at this point and plan a rebuild when we roll to 7 in the spring or summer of next year so if it can't be done without breaking the archives I will wait.

Thanks,                  

1 Reply 1

gregl_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, not a silly question at all sir.  Very good question.  The short answer is no it will not break it.

What you are seeing on the _s1 is the first stream name of the camera.  In VSM 6.x  there are 3 parts the IP Camera, the Stream and the Archive.

What i recommend is renaming all 3 to match your naming scheme and if you are running 2 streams from a single camera then at the end of the stream name make it _s1 and _s2.

As long as you are just changing the name it will not cause you a problem on the archives.  When you start changing items like bit rates etc  that is when it will stop your archive and start a new one.

thanks and hope this info helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: