cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Security Question

mr.b.davis
Level 1
Level 1

I have just been hired onto a new company who have an older security system with 8 cameras connected back to a server. It seems as if the server has gone bad. Are there Cisco products (Software I assume? )  available that will allow me to use the existing cameras already bought while upgrading to a new system?

Thanks!                   

2 Replies 2

jfiranzi
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/physical_security/video_surveillance/network/vsm/iscsi/iSCSISANSolutionDesignGuideFINAL_Oct2012.html Hi Brandon,

In order to get closer to providing an accurate answer, please let us know which camera manufacturers and models you currently have deployed.

Is your present video surveillance system recording analog cameras via tape drive, or are the cameras streaming digitally via IP to the recorder (or via analog signal to an encoder and then to the DVR?)

Is your security deployment likely to remain the same size, or do you need to plan for room to add more cameras?

How long do you need to preserve video before it can be overwritten?

Cisco does offer a video surveillance solution for smaller deployments which might be of interest assuming the 6.x or 7.x version of Video Surveillance Manager has a driver to support your cameras (or their encoder if they are analog.)

You might want to look at deploying Video Surveillance Manager (VSM) on UCS Express on one of the Integrated Services Router Generation 2 (ISR G2).

You can find a link to Cisco's UCS Express VSM 6 solution Design Guide with iSCSI storage here, or the VSM 6 on UCS Express without external storage here.

That would be the most modest solution Cisco provides, though the Small Business division may have other solutions to offer if this deployment is expected to remain static instead of needing to grow.

A software only solution is available, though that assumes you already have a UCS-C or B series in which to run VMware at a performance level required to stream and record video.  You can find a link to VSM 6 on UCS here and to a Design Guide discussing a High Availability VSM 7 deployment on UCS here.

You might consider engaging a Cisco partner to help in the migration, as their experience in avoiding common pitfalls can be invaluable.

I hope that helps,

Jim Firanzi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: