cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP login hangs

Y0tsuya
Level 1
Level 1

Occasionally when logging into a Windows 10 machine the process hangs. Usually caused by my mobile phone not being online for the push notification, but not always. When that happens I’m greeted with a blank screen showing an inactive duo dialog, or this time a “Please Wait” message.

Normally when that happens I just wait until I get home from work and log in from the desktop which will clear whatever caused the freeze. But I’m out-of-town and it will be another week before I get back. What can I do about this?

32 Replies 32

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi @fjuang and @bradhs,

You can resolve a connection timeout when accessing an RDP session through an RDGateway server on Mac by enabling auto-push for your Duo for Windows Logon application, so that you don’t have to interact manually with the Duo Prompt. See our article for how to configure auto-push for Windows Logon console and RDP logins.

Hi @Amy, We have auto-push enabled. Duo still locks up to where you cannot click on it or do anything. Is the issue being actively worked on? Thanks

In that case, if you have auto-push enabled and are still experiencing this issue, you should open a support case with Duo to officially troubleshoot this problem. I’m not seeing any related open cases for Mac (and previous cases we had are still awaiting a response with more info from the customer).

I mentioned this in a previous comment, but for anyone new to thread who may have missed it, this can be caused by a few different things. We cannot tell what’s going on without looking at your logs. Please do not share logs on the community! Follow the instructions to create a zip file here, and then open a support case and share the file with them.

Actually, as a follow up, I found a related case of this issue on Mac where the person’s debug log showed this was due to a large gap of time caused by a slow or delayed logon experience. Microsoft has discussed this before:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/askds/so-you-have-a-slow-logon-part-1
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/askds/so-you-have-a-slow-logon-part-2

In the majority of cases, customers have resolved these issues by following the Microsoft guidelines outlined here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10123.windows-troubleshooting-slow-operating-system-boot-times-and-slow-user-logons-sbsl.aspx

But again, we need to look at your Windows debug logs in order to diagnose the exact problem you have. This is just one example of a cause behind this. Hope that helps!

One more thing I found that may be useful to you all, from the FAQ page for Duo Auth for Windows Logon and RDP:

There is a known issue with installation of the latest release of Duo Authentication for Windows Logon and RDP, version 4.1.0, on Active Directory domain controllers that may trigger user lockouts.

Are you using version 4.1.0 on Active Directory domain controllers? If so, you will want to update to version 4.1.1 released in July 2020 which corrects this issue.

Hi Amy, this continues to happen where we get stuck on a Please Wait. Yes, we upgraded to the latest release of Duo Authentication. This server is not an Active Directory Domain controller. Any other ideas?

P.S. There is a chance the user denied the Duo push and somehow Duo still sent them on their way to the Please Wait screen. Actually, what they are telling me is they never received the request to approve. But in the Duo logs we see that it was denied. I’ve had this happen a few times as well. In this case, you cannot get it to prompt again, so you’re stuck.

Hi Brad, sorry to hear you are still having trouble with this. Please open a support case with Duo and share your logs with them, so they can troubleshoot this with you further. The Duo Community is not an official support channel. Thanks!

tgreendyk
Level 1
Level 1

I’d love to know if Duo support had any resolution for this. I’m having the same issue.

Hi @tgreendyk, this issue can be caused by a number of factors, so there is not a “one size fits all” solution here we can share.

You can contact support and share your logs with them, and they will be able to provide the right solution for your case. Without seeing your logs though, we cannot help you.

Haley
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to go back to normal without restarting? I tried updating duo, but still it won’t push to mobile. I don’t see a Duo process running.

Since this completely locks me out of my work computer when I’m not at home, I bought a remote switch to power off and on the machine, which works. But all work is lost, so I’m still looking for a fix.

@Haley as far as I know, there is no way to reset the Prompt - or “go back to normal” as you said - without restarting. I know it’s frustrating to lose your work. Like I said in my other replies here, you can work with Duo Support. There’s not a single issue causing this, so sharing your logs in a support case will allow us to troubleshoot this and identify a solution for you.

@Amy Thank for your reply. It would be helpful if there were a place we could find out about this issue’s various causes.

Martin14
Level 1
Level 1

I have this “please wait” issue occur infrequently with a number of users.

Does anyone know if there is a process i can kill (or command line) to try and get around this, having to restart the computer is frustrating for the end users.

Drew5
Level 1
Level 1

I am experiencing trouble reconnecting to and RDP session from a Mac to a Win 10 VMware VM. The workaround to reconnect is in a previous post. Basically login as another user and run “taskkill /F /IM LogonUI.exe” from an admin prompt.

jfranchetti
Level 1
Level 1

We have the same issue on our windows 10 machines. If the user doesn’t enter their code or approve their push fast enough, they get hung and have to wait for duo to timeout or something. They are basically frozen or it says please wait.

We have the latest version of everything.

We were told about a registry key that can reduce duos timeout timing. We are trying that. But I’m surprised duo hasn’t made this a bigger topic. It has stopped us from deploying firmwide.

Quick Links