Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Switch uplink port as access port

jbraswell
Level 1
Level 1

My boss is pushing me to make the switch configurations for our access switches as simple as possible. Basically there would be an access switch connected directly to my core switch, a Catalyst 4507. I'm not real crazy about the idea of using the uplink as an access port, and leaving the vlan assignments off of the access switch ports, so basically everything would look like it's in VLAN 1 until it hits the core and gets tagged on the egress port on the core. I'm not even convinced it will work like that, it's something he's heard from other sites doing it, only after asking around, I haven't seen where anybody has actually done it. He's not a tech guy at all, doesn't care about security, and doesn't care about any sort of good design practices. The access switches contain isolated VLANs, so the idea is okay, I'm just concerned. I don't think it's a good idea to set it up like this. Can anyone point out any real adavantages, disadvantages to this. I just want to make sure I'm not being a paranoid engineer. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Who Me Too'd this topic