Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Create a single VLAN on multiple switches

Phill Hodges
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry I am pretty new to Cisco networking, I've managed to pick up quite a bit, but I am a little puzzled by this scenario.

My setup includes a "Core" switch (3750-E) which is acting like a router for each of my (6) floor switches. The ports that link between the core and the floor switches are routed (no switchport), not access or trunk ports. Each floor switch has its own data and voice vlans which is defined locally per switch.

I am building a WiFi network, which I want to be on its own separate vlan (actually I want 3 vlans for 3 different SSIDs, but for simplicity I will refer to just one). I have one AP per floor that will be plugged into the switch on that floor. I want this vlan to be present on every switch, so no matter which AP you are conencted to, you are on the same VLAN.

I've managed to create the vlan on a single switch by doing the following:

Flr1 (config)# vlan 60
Flr1 (config)# int vlan 60
Flr1 (config-if)# ip address 10.45.60.1 255.255.252.0
Flr1 (config-if)# ip helper-address 10.34.24.10

Core (config)# ip route 10.45.60.0 255.255.252.0 10.255.255.41

Which works because the IP of the vlan interface is the Gateway IP that DHCP gives. If I configure another switch the same way, but give the itnerface a different IP, I can get a DHCP response, but cannot access anything because the gateway is wrong. I then attempted to assign the "gateway" ip address to the vlan interface on the "core" switch, and set no IP address on the floor switches, but this also would not work.

I know how to create the VLAN on each switch, but I am unsure as to what IP to give the interface (if any) and where to define the default gateway. Please advise. Thanks,

Who Me Too'd this topic