Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

WAP571 PoE+ Issue with 2960-X Switch

reesejacobs
Level 1
Level 1

Site has multiple WAP571 access points (5 total) deployed each connected to a 2960X-24S-L switch. The WAP571 devices are the only devices connected to the 2960X. The WAP571 devices are all running the latest firmware -- 1.0.1.10. The 2960X is running 15.2(2) E6.

Every WAP571 device connects to the 2960X and boots properly but each AP is only obtaining 15W from the switch. The APs are unable to negotiate for 802.3at power from the switch which is preferable for the WAP571 devices. I have connected the WAP571 devices to an external PoE+ injector and they work fine with the injector obtaining 30W as expected but this is of course not the optimal solution.

There have been various posts about 802.3at negotiation issues between 2960X switches and various Cisco APs but there seems to be no solution. Recommendations in other threads have ranged from setting power inline static max 30000, setting power inline 2x-mode or disabling LLDP power management on the specific switch ports to which the APs are attached. None of these had any effect on the WAP571 devices with the 2960X switch with each AP still drawing only 15W confirmed by examining the switch using show power inline and also the Status page of each of the WAP571 devices. The switch reports each WAP571 as an IEEE PD class 4 device. Interestingly, when using power inline port max 30000, the switch reports 30W being delivered to the WAP571 but the AP still reports on its status page that is powered via 802.3af and not 802.3at.

Does anyone have any recommendations or know of a specific fix that will enable the WAP571 APs to work properly with the 2960X switch and obtain the maximum power on their respective ports? I have examined the release notes for the 2960X and found nothing that suggests this issue has been addressed in a subsequent release to 15.2(2) E6. The WAP571 devices are all current on the latest firmware release. The switch is rated for 370W and no other devices are using the switch so the switch has ample capacity to provide full power to the APs. Any help would be appreciated.

Who Me Too'd this topic