Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Nexus Keepalive failure

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hello - After reading multiple discussion forms, i am here to ask this question again

What happens when VPC Peer Keepalive link fails whereas Peer-Link is up at that time. Cisco documentation says:

vPC Peer Keepalive Link Failure
The vPC keepalive link carries the heartbeat message between two vPC peer switches. The failure of the vPC keepalive link alone does not impact the vPC operation or data forwarding. Although it has no impact on data forwarding, we recommend that you fix the keepalive as soon as possible to avoid a double failure scenario that could impact the data traffic.

According to the cisco official docs, it seems that nothing is affacted by this failure and the only reaction is that peer-link will act as keepalive link temporarily. So, end users will not be aware of this failure at all, CFS still running in the peer-link.

Q1) I understand "Peer Keepalive" works by Layer 3 whereas Peerlink is on L2. How peerlink can carry Hearbeat messages?

Q2) If peerlink is itself capable of carrying Hear-Beat messages why the need of dedicated Peer Keepalive link?

regards

Sairam

Who Me Too'd this topic