Views
Helpful
Replies

Access RV082 in CLI and configure syslog

mohamed.irfan1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

We have  a RV082 router. I need to access it through CLI and configure syslog.

Kindly help with this. Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Mohamed,

please what kind of configuration change you wanted to perform on syslog? If you want to set remote syslog server IP then it can be done via WebGUI. More info here.

There are only unofficial ways how to access this unit using CLI (telnet). But every change to any system component (including direct editing of syslog daemon configuration) outside of WebGUI way will not be saved permanently and all changes will be possibly lost at reboot.

Hi Michal/cchamorr ,

Thanks for the response. I configured the syslog server with the windows server which i have in my environment. But, dont get any logs in the server. What am i missing here? Kindly help.

@Michal - What is the unofficial way to access this device using CLI?

Thanks in advance.

> I configured the syslog server with the windows server which i have in my environment.

What kind of application are you using as syslog daemon on that server? In general syslog communication is done using UDP protocol toward port 514 - which means your syslog application should listen on UDP port 514 and this kind of communication should be allowed on firewall.

Are you able to ping management address of RV082 from windows server? Are they both in same subnet (just question, but it is not mandatory).

> What is the unofficial way to access this device using CLI?

try to use google ;-)

I tried an application called syslog watcher which didn't work. I will check that. Can you recommend few application to configure syslog?

Tried a lot in google where i didnt find any positive result :)

You can try free version of Kiwi Syslog server available here. Free version have limitation for 5 syslog clients only, but at least it is good choice to see if RV082 is sending syslog messages correctly.

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

There is no access via CLI on the device.

You can configure the syslog settings on the web interface of the device.

Here is a link on a document about how to do so using the Web GUI.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=ad8b081c5c184d539f1e6acba21e9ac2_Syslog_Configuration_on_RV042.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=4&dispid=0&cpage=search

I hope this was helpful

There is cli on the rv016 and rv082 (at least on older firmwares).  You'll need to search for it though.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com