cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing the CLI on a RV340W via PuTTy

itsmerowe
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know the correct settings to access the console on a RV340W via the serial/console cable via PuTTy? I have tried about every combination of settings I have found on the internet and I cannot connect to it.

I CAN see the boot up info when I connect and then power on the router, but once it is powered on, I cannot get a response.

26 Replies 26

It is 4/3/2021 - Can you access the CLI via the Console port today?  This post was in 2/18.

@RustyPearce2027 

There is no plan to enable the console port and productise the CLI access to the RV series routers.

Regards,

Martin

Then why was the console port and cable provided as part of the product, clearly identified in marketing materials and specifications as a major features. I don’t have much user for lying scumbag mother**bleep**ers. Won’t be buying anymore Cisco products.

Console port/CLI access and the cable have never been identified in any marketing materials as major product features. The cable is not even listed in the included accessories in the product datasheet. The console port is mentioned for future use only and disabled.

paulCuda35500
Level 1
Level 1

I have a brand new RV340-K9 V03.  First step after assigning new credentials was to upgrade to latest firmware (April 2019).  Now I cannot log in with either new or original credentials.  What is the solution?  Console I would think.  Does anyone have instructions using putty in WIN10?

You cannot access the console on this router, despite having a console port.

You probably have to do a factory reset cuz none of the ports are on the management subnet/VLAN after the upgrade or something like that.  I forget.  Gotta love it!

Nope. You'll need a beta firmware from Cisco is you want the console. It does not work with any official firmware as of now. I have been working for 18 months on the wireless bug and have been through this numerous times.

Upgrading to a new firmware should not impact user authentication.

If you get a user login via the browser it seems that your connectivity is ok.

If this is brand new router and you uploaded only the firmware please do a factory reset using the physical reset button on the device.

We have tested multiple upgrade scenarious and have not seen this issue.

In the newer firmware we restrict access to management from user VLANs. So you need to be on the default management VLAN.

The console port is for troubleshooting and can only be enabled by Cisco support

You have lifetime warranty and 1 year Cisco support, feel free to contact Cisco for help.

Sorry for the bug.

We have identified a firmware upgrade issue as we have introduced ACL settings for the management interface.

Due to increased security standards we added this feature.

Devices running  1.0.1.17 and earlier might face this issue. Unfortunately the management VLAN will be blocked.

Workaround is to factory reset the device using the reset button.

Upgrading from to 1.0.2 and then to 1.0.3 also will not experience the issue.

The console port is being used for development and technical support. It is also on there for future use if we decide to productise a CLI. The routers are designed to managed via the GUI and some APIs. As the industry is going away from CLI it has not a high priority right now.

Best Regards

Jo

Very dissapointing to find out, purchased an RV340 to use for my home Network and to learn CLi, and prep for my first Cisco exam. I guess I found out the hard way without double checking Spec before hand. Kinda just assumed it has CLi due to the fact it has a console port on the rear and it is a Cisco product. Gone a bought a second hand 1941 to learn. Anyone want to buy a like new RV340??

I just confirmed on the Cisco official page, and yes, the port it's disabled. Pretty annoying btw. Cisco RV340, RV345, RV345P, and RV340W Dual WAN Security Router Data Sheet - Cisco

EduardoCastroLPZ_0-1664487888195.png