cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router for Multihoming

providance1
Level 1
Level 1

Our company has two independent Internet connections: the first used as main link and the second used ONLY in case of main connection fault. I know, in this case, the best solution is to use the BGP protocol with both providers, but this solution is VERY expensive (requires /24 network from provider, AS# and etc.).

I heard about other ways to implement this process, such as using IPSLA, PBR and the EEM features together. But I have this questions:

1) What routers are good enough for that? I know that not all routers support EEM. So, what router would you recommend for that.

2) I found this article about how to setup Dual Internet connections without BGP - http://www.ciscozine.com/dual-internet-connections-in-activestandby-mode-without-bgp/. What do you think about that?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joshua Beatty
Level 1
Level 1

I think that the best solution would be to use a Dual WAN router rather than having 2 different routers and setting up fail-over between them. The RV320 and RV325 both support dual WAN with fail-over, load balancing or protocol binding.

What is the size of the network you are working with and, besides Dual WAN, the features you need?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joshua Beatty
Level 1
Level 1

I think that the best solution would be to use a Dual WAN router rather than having 2 different routers and setting up fail-over between them. The RV320 and RV325 both support dual WAN with fail-over, load balancing or protocol binding.

What is the size of the network you are working with and, besides Dual WAN, the features you need?

Thanks josbeatt!

All I need from router is NAT and Dual WAN.

How do I set up fail-over with RV320 and RV325 routers? I just add two 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 routes or do I need to use EEM?

Thanks!

In the Router configuration under System Management -> Dual Wan you can set up the behavior of each WAN interface. All you will need to do is tick "Smart Link Backup," select the primary WAN interface and save the configuration.

chinmoy.boruah1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you are using two different routers, then I would suggest you to go for HSRP. HSRP is being supported by all the routers (we do use 1921-SEC/K9).

With Regards

Chinmoy

guanli0830
Level 1
Level 1

The article (http://www.ciscozine.com/dual-internet-connections-in-activestandby-mode-without-bgp/) can solve your problem completely,and EEM is recommended, but not mandatory.So you just only use floating static routing ,NAT and SLA together to solve your problem.

Just do it as what the article said. and BGP is not necessary completely in your TOP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: