Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV160 Router, Assign Static IP for OpenVPN Clients

agorsk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have recently enabled OpenVPN on my Cisco RV160 router using the following guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/smb5879-openvpn-on-rv160-rv260.html#client

I am using OpenVPN to ssh into remote computers (OpenVPN clients); however, each time a client disconnects and reconnects from OpenVPN it gets assigned a different IP. Is there any way to assign a static IP to each OpenVPN client?

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not that i am aware that is possiblein this models. like static reservation

Instead this is my thoought, if your environment is DNS based, you can resolve computer name DNS with IP address.

even though IP address changed still you can connect DNS name.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Balaji,

Is this possible in any other router models? If so, which ones?

Can you go into additional detail regarding connecting to computer name DNS? Is this something that can be setup in the router settings?

Thanks,

Adam

Not sure in this model you can create different VPN profiles so that devices get always same IP.  as i know ASA .

Do you have any DNS and DHCP in your envrionment, or you can do some Script end device to register, depends on your environment.

https://askme4tech.com/how-resolve-ip-address-hostname-powershell

BB

Balaji,

@balaji.bandi wrote:

Not sure in this model you can create different VPN profiles so that devices get always same IP.  as i know ASA .

Do you have documentation to enable this part?

I am not sure about DNS...all the machines connected to the router have DHCP enabled.

@agorsk 

You can't configure static IP addresses to be provided to your VPN clients by the RV160x Open VPN server. 

Do you have documentation to enable this part?

As i have stated this is not possible with the model of the device you using.

only option i can see as mentioined IP to DNS resolution, when the device come online update DNS records using some scripts so you can conencting use device name rather IP address.

Make sense ?

BB