cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV220W and Synology VPN Server

mrhoades1963
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a Synology VPN server thru a cisco RV220W and cannot get a windows 7 VPN client to connect to it.  Access rule was created on RV220W to port forward 1723 and also made sure the same port was forwarded on the built in router on the Synology NAS box, running DSM4.1 and made sure VPN server was up and running.  IP address of synology NAS is 192.168.1.250, mask of 255.255.255.0.  DNS\gateway is 192.168.1.1.  Only running PPTP at this time.

When I run the windows 7 VPN client, I try to connect to the external internet addres:1723, make surePPTP is the only protocol and use a DNS of 192.168.1.1.  When I try connect, I get an 868 error which says  "error 868:  The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote  access server could not resolve."

When I try to ping port 1723, I do not get a response which leads me to believe that the issue is the router and not the NAS box.  HTTP, HTTPS and FTP ports work fine.  Any Ideas of what I am doing wrong?

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael, try to disable the firewall for protocol 47. The pptp passthrough should allow this but we can see.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Where do you disable the firewall protocol?

Michael, disable the router firewall features (it is what I meant, sorry it was not clear). PPTP works in 2 ways. Port 1723 and GRE 47. PPTP passthrough should take care of the GRE 47, the port forward should take care of the 1723 port.

So, we can see if the PPTP passthrough is broken by disabling the router firewall. If it works, the PPTP passthrough would seem to be buggy. If it doesn't work, then we need to look at the access rules and router.

You can try to test TCP sockets by  telnet 1723  you can also do this locally   telnet 1723 

If the telnet is successful, the TCP socket can be established then there is something else wrong.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Tom, I am new to this so please bear with me.  I did a port foward on 47  for tcp but no help.  I dont know where to disable GRE 47.  The router utilizes a GUI inferface.

I did find where to disable gre protocol 47.  GRE is not mentioned specifically in the drop down.  Used other and put in protocol number 47.  Port is still not open.

Hi Michael,

PPTP uses port 1723 and IP protocol 47. Port 1723 allows connects to be established. Protocol 47 is what allows data through the tunnel.

Port forwarding 1723 to the Synology is correct. Additionally, PPTP passthrough must be enabled, GRE, IP protocol 47 must be allowed.

GRE IP protocol 47 is not a port number (which is a common mistake, even I forget this once in a while!).

If you're having some difficulties to validate the router's configuration, you may want to call the small business support center.

-Tom