cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV340 | CPU 100%

knollknows
Level 1
Level 1

I am experiencing severe network degradation on client machines and I am having extreme delays to access the admin console of the router.  From a client side perspective, some sites are appearing to load slowly and I am noticing some lag. My environment consists of ~~30 devices from Xbox, PCs and IoT devices.  I reviewed the Cisco "summary" page an I see 100% CPU utilization.  I configured  syslog to a remote server and enabled "debugging". I can share my findings as required. 

I did see some other posts of other users experiencing similar issues and I also can confirm that a reboot will resolve this issue for roughly ~~8 hrs.  I have done a router reset and reconfigured all options to rule out a stuck config from a router upgrade. I did try out the suggested "peer solutions" to lower the IPS/IDS options to "balanced" however this had no impact. 

Model: Cisco RV 340

Firmware:

Serial Number:OMITTED
System Up Time:0 Days 22 Hours 27 Minutes 11 Seconds
Current Time:2019-Dec-13, 07:49:18 PST
CPU/Memory Usage:100% / 37%
PID VID:RV340-K9 V01
Firmware Information 
Firmware Version:1.0.03.16
34 Replies 34

knollknows
Level 1
Level 1

***  Possible SOLUTION  ***

For the curious minds keeping up with this thread, I would like to share a possible solution. 

I have updated Router Application Visibility Control (AVC) Signature to version:

Description Signature file v2.0.0.0009 for Cisco RV340/RV340W/RV345/RV345P

Download via:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/routers/rv340-dual-gigabit-wan-vpn-router/model.html#~tab-downloads

Please note, this had to be done manually.  Since my update, I have not had anymore CPU 100% utilization spikes for over a week now. As noted previously, I was having 100% utilization within 16 hrs.   No other changes, including a 'hard reset' of the router was completed. I simply updated the signatures and monitored performance.

Probably good news! At the end of March Cisco published new firmware version 1.0.03.17.

I am running on this version several days without any issues. In the release notes some of the issues are mentioned:

• CSCvo60322 RV34x: Router freezes - LAN traffic affected
  • CSCvr79104 RV34x: Router slows or freezes when Security Services are enabled.

I hope that this firmware version resolves the strange behavior. The router still has some CPU loads/response peaks, but these peaks always disappear within a few seconds.

Nah, enabling security license without antivirus on 1.0.03.17 hurt the upload speed to 0.17Mbps from 1Gbps line T_T

Other security license have no problem except the antivirus part.

turning back to 1.0.03.16 and enable the antivirus again, cause that's why i'm buying the security license *.*

I have still no performance issues running on version 1.0.03.17 with AV and IPS features switched on. WAN speed is on provider limit (100 Mbps), internal routing works fine on Gbps between "Gb ready" devices. Current up-time exceeds previous "best no-freeze time" moreover 2 times :) ...

IPS feature is more important for me, because AV is covered on our PCs and servers with additional AV solution. AV solution on Cisco's firewall I use only as an additional feature because I think that this model is not designed to be a dedicated "AV gate" with appropriate CPU performance and sufficient RAM (e.g. for attachments sandboxing), nevertheless I have no problems with AV feature on this version.

Do you have a problem with WAN speed or LAN speed? In this time some locations should have performance capacity limits on the Internet provider's infrastructure.