cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting a WAN port to a Linksys wrt54g dd-wrt?

PlugNickel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I am currently accessing the internet on my home lan with a Linksys wrt54g dd-wrt in bridged client mode (small town wifi to T1 network) with a static IP, but plan to add an additional WildBlue 12mbps satellite connection.

What I’d like to do is load share between the two connections with a  RV042 dual wan router….

The satellite modem connection to one of the WAN ports and configuring the RV042 as my DHCP server is not a problem, but can anyone explain to me how I should configure my wrt54g to the dual wan router for load sharing?

I suspect a IT professional might understand this intuitively, but I am unsure how to pass through my public address from the Linksys to the RV042 WAN port.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2 Replies 2

johschaf
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Mark,

For clarification, the municipal wifi is bridged to the WRT54G and the internet access via the municipal wifi is provided via a T1, correct? Your end goal is to have the WAN interfaces on the RV042 have the public IPs from your municipal wifi and the satellite, correct? I'm not very familiar with DD-WRT, but you would want to try and put the WRT54G in IP passthrough, so that the WRT54G is just responsible for making the wireless connection, and the static public IP is on one of the WAN interfaces of the RV042. This would be similar to what you would do with a cable/dsl modem/router where you bridge that device so your own router can be your edge network device with the public IP. If your municipal wifi provider can provide you another static public IP, you might be able to do a one-to-one NAT to a private IP you assign to the RV042 so that it appears to have a public IP.  Another option would be to connect to RV042 to a DMZ on the WRT54G, so that while you will have a private IP on the RV042 WAN interface, the WRT54G won't be firewalling any of the packets.

Also, to cover all your bases, you might want to post something over at http://www.dd-wrt.com, since they will know much more about DD-WRT configuration options.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

-john

Thanks John,

Yes, your understanding of the WRT54G setup is correct.

I can't seem to find any setting on the WRT54G for IP passthrough, but it does have DMZ.

Thanks for all the information, and I'll check out the dd-wrt site to see if there is any way to do a passthrough.

Thanks again for your info and time,

Mark