cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with an SR520

jimwarriner
Level 1
Level 1

About a decade ago I took the CCNA course but not the certification , so I have a good level of knowledge. I do IT support for a non profit and we acquired an SR520. We chose it because we want to set up 3 to 5 VPN's allowing a few folks to work from home. I currently have the following issues: 1. while using my Vista laptop, a USB to serial cable, PuTTY for terminal emulation, I can connect and after 1-2 minutes the connection quits. I restart PuTTY and it works for a short time.  The router doesn't seem to know the terminal was restarted.  I am using 9600,8,1,n Any clues? 2. I have a DHCP server and would like to disable the one on the SR520 3. While I do want to eventually create VPN's and perhaps VLAN's for now I would like to disable both and turn them on in stages. The config assistance is useful but I would like to preconfigure and make a seamless switch. My email is paladin@jwcomputer.net Thanks in advance, Jim Warriner

5 Replies 5

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jim,

It is recommended that CCA is used to configure the SR520.  (Sure CLI can be used also of course, but CCA will build those firewall / VPN configs automatically for you).

http://www.cisco.com/go/configassist

Andy

Andrew,

Thanks, I was hoping to do this in stages and

configure as a basic router first and then configure

the VPN's.

Also I need to turn off the DHCP as I already have

one running with reservations for all the desktops.

I also need to disable the VLAN's and change the

IP for fe0 to the 192.168.1.0 (preferably to .1 but I will likely use .2)

We are in an operating work environment here and any disruption of the

internet is a major issue.

Jim W

Sure - CCA will allow you to do all of this in stages to meet your requirements.

Connect your PC to one of the LAN ports and use CCA to connect with address 192.168.75.1 (this is the default LAN subnet used by the SR520).

Andy

Andrew,

Maybe I am dense but I am banging my head against a brick wall here.

I can g through the security setup wizard and get as far as "apply configuration"

but it is "grayed out" .  I can save the config as a file but cannot find a way to

save te file to the router.  Connecting to the router as you suggested does not

show an option for DHCP disable and gives warnings if I attempt to change the

IP address of fe0 stating that it will disable NAT.

What am I missing?

I have reset the ruter to defaults several times, connected to it with my vista

laptop in a "private network" (192.168.75.1 the router and 192.168.75,11 my PC)

and always run into the same issues.  Obviously I am missing a step some where.

The router does nothave the wireless option so I am ignoring that section of the setup.

I doubt if I can return the router (not that I want to) because we received it via Techsoup

as a donation.  I want to make this work.

Jim Warriner

Attached is the configuration I would like to load in an SR520.

I do not want to use the router DHCP and don't care about the cisco-guest

at this time.

I want to static configure the wan as indicated and the lan as 192,168,1,2

Why is this so hard?

Jim W