cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to view in RV320 / RV325 mgmt UI the list of ports opened by applications/device via UPNP?

shiftgear6
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there a way to view the list of ports opened by applications/device using UPNP?  In RV042, there's a "UPnP Forwarding Table List" that gets updated when an application or a device opened a port via UPNP.  

I can't seem to find the equivalent in RV320 / RV325.   Pls advise.

Regards,

Albert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the info, i thought i was on my own without a service contract :D.

The feature i and the OP was wishing for was already there in the latest firmware, look under menu Setup => Port Address Translation => UPnP Port Forwarding Table.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

Unfortunately this router doesn't have such a table. You can enable uPnP under the firewall settings but there is no way to see what ports are being forwarded by the uPnP feature.

The good news is that, if this feature is important to you, you can contact the Small Business Support Center at 866-606-1866 and create a case for feature request, that way. the development team can consider to add that feature on new firmware versions.

I hope this was helpful.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.  This feature is very important to us.  The RV042 (even the older v1 version from 2008) has this table and it was very helpful to detect security issues (unapproved port opening at firewall).   Thru this feature, we caught certain IP-based devices (with buggy FW) and certain applications that opened ports via UPNP that we did not approve.   Thru this table,  we are informed thus we can go hunt down the offending device or application and remove it from the network.  We regularly inspect this table to ensure only approved applications/ports are listed there.  You might say leave UPNP off all the time but that is not workable as certain applications will not work and as a result create application problems.

We have several older RV042 and trying to migrate these to RV320/RV325 but not having this particular feature is bad as we have no way of knowing what ports are opened by IP-based devices or applications and if to take actions to remediate.  Also, the lower end RV devices like RV120W has it and so does the device from Netgear like Netgear FVS336Gv3.  I expected this feature is carried forward to newer RV devices (especially for customers who are migrating from older RV devices).  It seems it's a big oversight to not have this on the most expensive RV device in Cisco SB RV line up.

How can this be escalated?   I have doubts the fellow behind an 800 number can help.  Also, I've already described the issue above quite detailed already.

Regards,

Albert

Thank you so much for the detailed answer.

I understand your concern and, I'm sure that we can help. You are right, there is really not a lot that a Level 1 engineer can do in regards to this request, but the issue can be escalated as a FEATURE REQUEST so that it will be considered to be added to new firmware releases.

Here is what I will recommend for you to do:

1- Please call the Small Business Support Center to create a case. If you are located in the United States please call 866-606-1866

2- Provide your Cisco ID and the Serial number for the RV320

3- Request to create a case for Feature request.

4- Attach this post to the case.

5- Once we have the case created with the post associated we will be able to submit this request to the development team so that they can consider adding the feature on future firmware releases.

I hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for your recommendation.  But even with the case created, it will take some time and it may or may not happen.   In the meantime, is there a way to mitigate this?  Is there another place in the management UI that I can find out?

Hello, 

I understand and you are absolutely right about the fact that it could take long for you to see this feature implemented.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there is no place on the router to see anything related to this table.

I'm sorry, the only option is to request the feature

Hi,

I am also interested in a upnp port forwarding table. As of right now i have disabled upnp but if i could get more control and logging of upnp i might activate it.

I don't have a service contract so i can't request it as feature but if the feature did turn up in a future firmware release i would be very grateful.

Hello,

Just for clarification, you DO NOT NEED a contract to request the feature, but you should be under support, basically, if you bought the unit less than 1 year ago you are still under phone support.

Needless to say, the more people requesting the feature, the more chances there are that it will be included sooner.

Hope this was helpful.

Thanks for the info, i thought i was on my own without a service contract :D.

The feature i and the OP was wishing for was already there in the latest firmware, look under menu Setup => Port Address Translation => UPnP Port Forwarding Table.

Hi stpa67001,

Thanks for finding this out.  This was not mentioned in the manual, help or in latest FW release notes that this was added.   Where this is placed in UI, at Port Address Translation instead of Port Forwarding menu, it is not easy to find.   This must be so new that Cisco reps in this forum does not know the RV320/RV325 has it.  I do hope it's been tested instead of feature leaked out unintentionally. Thanks again for the heads up.

Hi shiftgear6, stpa67001,

My name is Andrew, and I am a content developer for the Cisco knowledge base. Content developers are aware of the new feature and are testing and updating our online documentation!

I was browsing the rv320 menus and there is a upnp port forwarding table under Setup -> Port Adress Translation :D.