cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I think SRP5xx series is a completely a joke!!

thinkerhk
Level 1
Level 1

This line of product is basically created a lot of false expectation, if you see the basic configuration:

1. You will expect it has a full VPN function; sorry, it only provided a site to site, not wanna can route over to the other side public internet

2. It has 2 phone jacks and a pstn jack; sorry, bascially you can only use to dial internal, the line is just a bypass?!?!?! not a fxo

3. what the hell to use with a 3G donge in a office? the 3G is extremely expensive, how will you like to use it to share a office internet?

4. USB in a office router has a better function; to provide a network storage, not 3G internet; but sorry, you got only 3G internet.

So what the hell in your brain when Cisco is defining this product?  I think it is good before I bought it but I think I am stupid when I actually using it.

Max Chow

22 Replies 22

thinkerhk
Level 1
Level 1

And 5.  It is super difficult to find any supporting documentation.  Unlike others, you can never find any decription of functions anywhere, it makes almost impossible to configure yourselves

Hi Max,

Thanks for your feedback on the SRP500 - I'm sorry that the product doesn't meet your specific needs.

We have developed the SRP500 product family to deliver many of the features that small businesses require - specifically where service providers offer the product as part of a managed service (I appreciate that you have not purchased the product in this capacity).

All documentation for the SRP500 is available from our web site: www.cisco.com/go/srp500.  The data sheet there details the relay function of the FXO port on the SRP520 (it is an active FXO port on the SRP540 series) as well as the site to site VPN capability.  There a good deal of additional information available on this support community too.

3G has been a very popular feature for providing business continuity in many regions.  I agree that some mobile data tariffs can make this an expensive option, but in many cases costs are now much more managable.

Regards,

Andy

Andrew,

Thanks for your kind reply. However, it is a very disappointed situation,

the Cisco product cut into so much details in specification, now I know the

SRP540 series may fit my need, but I have already invested on the SRP521w.

So what is the result? A poor little company need to write off $$$ and times

spend on installation, then choose either stake on it or re-invest -> A

Cisco marketing objective?

Max

On 24 August 2011 17:57, ahickman

Hi, Max. This is Leah from Cisco Small Business Technology Group. What country are you based in please? We may be able to address a significant discount for replacement SRP540.

Thanks,

Leah

Hi Leah,

It is much appreciate if you can do it. However, I am still planning what to

be used for another 2 locations. So if you give me a discount for all these

will be good. I am in Hong Kong.

Max

On 26 August 2011 09:48, ledavis

Hi,

Are you taking this seriously? I am waiting for your advice and therefore I

can proceed.

Rg.

Max

Hi, Max. I'm sorry - I did not get an automatic notification on your post. We absolutely take this seriously. Would you please email me at ledavis@cisco.com? I will also start discussion with Hong Kong team on NFR discount for a replacement unit.

Sincerely,

Leah

BTW Max, do you need an SRP541 (Dual GE) or SRP547 (ADSL2+/GE)?

Thanks,

Leah

Hi Leah,

Thanks for your reply. The ISPs will comes with an ADSL in China and Hong

Kong, therefore, I think the SRP541 is more appropriate. Just please

arrange to trace off the 2 SRPs on my hand first and let me see how it

operate.

Thanks and Regards

Max

On 13 September 2011 15:38, ledavis <

Hi, Max. Please send me your contact details (to ledavis@cisco.com) and we can take this discussion further over email please.

Thanks,

Leah

Leah,

my phone number is (852)90222229

On Sep 13, 2011 6:23 PM, "ledavis" <

Hi, Max. You should be hearing from HK team within next business day. Please see comments below to clarify device functionality:

- Remote site VPN is not available on SRP today for a series of reasons.  Not targeted until next calendar year.

- Please clarify what functionality you're looking for on FXO of the SRP540.

- Not enabling storage on USB was done for performance and reliability reasons.  In our opinion, a USB drive attached to a router cannot provide the performance or the reliability required by business, and this router is aimed at businesses. 

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me via email if you need any additional support on this. Please also see SRP product data sheet to review product funcitonality at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps10500/index.html

Sincerely,

Leah

Hi Leah,

Thanks for your help.

1. Remote VPN is important to us since we will have this SRP in China

offices and the users there will need this feature to bypass the Great China

Firewall to demonstrate our products playing Youtube and connect to

Facebook, etc.

2. The FXO requirement is we do need China staffs to call HK numbers,

therefore we suppose the SRP can act like a VoIP gateway.

3. This part is not important, I just use to mention that this feature maybe

a more useful one for small offices.

According the above, can you suggest a appropriate version?

Max

On 14 September 2011 11:12, ledavis <

Hi Leah,

Waiting for your reply. and is there a list of compatible 3G dongle can be

used with this SRP ?

Max