cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to connect RV120W(as a slave router) to another router? And, how?

cisco1234567
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a Mercury router and RV120w. Given some reason, I have to connect RV120w to Mercury router to make Mercury router as a master router and RV120w as a slave router. 

Before I brought Rv120w, I asked a customer service stuff of Cisco about this function in RV series, and I was told that this is a basic function of Cisco routers in LAN, so I don’t have to worry about it.

But now, I’m confused by the settings on the WDS page(see the attached image). 

So, is it possible to connect RV120W(as a slave router) to another router? And, how?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Apologies,  Since i do not have RV120 to test bridge mode, i was in impression RV Model support Bridge mode like other higher model does in RV Models.

Yes you are correct, yes make that changes as suggest in that post  and connect to Mercury and test it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Still the basic requirement not gathered here from customer correctly ?

is the new RV120 should run along with the exiting connection ? or RV120 need to connec to exiting connection already working ?

can you make some network topology to understand how these device connected.

WDS is nothing related the one you have mentioned and customer requirement.

Refer WDS :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/smb1317-wireless-distribution-system-wds-configuration-on-the-rv120w.html

BB

Thanks for your reply.

I’m sorry for my poor English, but what do you mean by saying “run along with the exiting connection” and “connect to exiting connection already working”? What is difference between them?

Let me draw two graphs. The first is my current network graph, and the second is what I’m going to do with RV120W. Yes, I brought a RV120w rather than RV120.

AA731425-86DD-462F-AB4B-DAD2C2E91A74.jpeg8F232B7C-54DA-46CB-A0A0-6C53A961A6F3.jpeg

Btw, I prefer to connect RV120W to Mercury router with wireless signal. But, if it is impossible, I can connection them with a cable.

Sorry for the typo. I mean :

Btw, I prefer to connect RV120W to Mercury router with wireless signal. But, if it is impossible, I can connect them with a cable.

Why not replace Mercury with RV 120 ? what is the Limitations ?

BB

If you can do couple of ways.

If you want to New router ACT as router/FW, then you need to Configure WAN(exiting LAN IP address from the existing router) and LAN address new range  on RV120 along with new SSID.

If you like to use exiting capabilities and implement transparently, you can do in Bridge mode.

BB

Thanks for your reply. It seems that bridge mode is what I want.

I can’t find the bridge settings in the admin guide, and I find a post about this topic

https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-wireless/rv120w-bridge/td-p/1863041

And, I want to know whether I can connect rv120w with Mercury router via wireless. It seems from that post that the answer is NO, right?

I also want to confirm the way about turning off the dhcp on rv120w: login to the 192.168.1.1 page, Networking>LAN>LAN Configuration>DHCP, set DHCP to None. Right?

Then, the last thing I have to do is connecting a LAN port of Mercury router to a LAN port of rv120w via a cable, right?

Apologies,  Since i do not have RV120 to test bridge mode, i was in impression RV Model support Bridge mode like other higher model does in RV Models.

Yes you are correct, yes make that changes as suggest in that post  and connect to Mercury and test it.

BB