cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys RV016 and two WANs (cable+DSL)

Adam.Interact
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any good description how to configure Linksys RV016  for two WANs (cable+DSL)? It looks like switching between those two  connections not splitting what is set for WAN1 and what is set for WAN2.

I set load balancing as
- WAN1 (cable) all HTTP up/donw should go there
- WAN2 (DSL) GTalk, IMs, SMTP, POP3, IMAP up/down should go there
but looks like is not working that way.

When  I will go to speedtest.net and test a connection I always get less  amount then connected directly through cable :\ Also when people try to  use any session or IP sensitive web site it doesn't let them to log in  because session was expired (based on IP) or IP was changed.

Thanks for any help.

11 Replies 11

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Adam,

Have you been referencing the Admin Guide on this (page 67 covers Dual WAN configuration for the RV016).  Which Load Balancing type are you using (Auto or Group)?

Thanks for the Admin Guide. I will take a look ASAP.

About the LoadBalancing - is set to Auto.

I follow the guide but without luck - still same problems with the Load Balancing. Any idea what can be wrong? Thanks

Same problem here.
Using the firmware v4.0.0.07-tm (19 Aug 2010 19:19:50)
Internal users can use any service on the internet (I fixed the 443 port on a specific WAN)
However, the inlet 443, 3389, 987 enter the correct WAN , but when they return, balanced by the router they change the IP, dropping the connection.

now I will try setting the internal IP of my server to exit by the sameWAN

I'll post the results here.

Marcio good day, as I come dragging this same problem and I have not been solved, found a way to open it right? I have enough time looking how to fix this yet I have. Besides I have other details to this and other Cisco RV082 Linsys RC016, but first I want to resolve this outstanding web sites with sensitive IP not allowed to log on.

Hello All,

You should be able to bind any protocol to any WAN port to avoid problems. If Protocol Binding is not working, please call Small Business Support for assistance. You can find a number at the following link: www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

Sorry mpyhala , as I commented to me that, from the router, the page or where??? The truth I know little about this and not what you mean. Show me or tell me where to do this, some document or something.

Thanks in advance.

Enrique,

On the RV082:

1. System Management-> Dual-WAN
  2. Change to Load Balance (Auto Mode) At the bottom of the page you will now see Protocol Binding
  3. Select HTTPS [TCP/443~443] from the dropdown
  4. Select the source IP or IP range: (i.e. 192.168.1.100 to 150) This will bind HTTPS for any LAN device that uses an IP in this range.
  5. Select the Destination IP: Usually leave at 0.0.0.0 to 0.0.0.0 for ALL destinations
  6. Select the Interface to bind the protocol to (WAN1 or WAN2)
  7. Check the Enable box and Add to list. Save Settings at bottom of page.

On the RV016:

1. System Management-> Multi-WAN
  2. Look for Interface Setting and select Edit for WAN1.
  3. Follow the steps from above.

Please let us know if this helps or if you need further assistance.

Success!

However, I had to configure the internal IP of my server to always travel down a specific WAN.

through "System Management> Multi WAN" selected "IP Group (By Users)" and set up like the image below.

I also created a rule that defines all HTTPS traffic by a specific WAN, following the guidance of mpyhala

In fact I have already done so, if it works, but the point is not how I wanted to be taking advantage of RV router start the computer, since the idea was to connect my two internet links (modem's) and use both for all my users and this way as I did, as you also would not have worked their case as to account for these users and the https I am pointing to a single WAN.

I think this will be the only alternative solution, and hopefully find some other method or firmware update to correct this little problem of linskys RV.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, this is even a problem of "load balance". I've worked with D-link DI 624 and TP-Link TL-R488T, both had to do the procedure to fix the HTTPS in a single WAN. I managed to make a true "load balance" via the software on a linux server with three network cards (LAN,WAN1 & WAN2) using the technique of iproute2, that can "tag" incoming and outgoing packets and keep them in the same interface, but have not figured out a load balance that really can make simultaneous connections to work. I keep looking for