Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys WRVS4400N V1.1.13 slows down Internet speed by 50%

Geza_1959
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Recently I upgraded my Internet speed at the ISP from 10Mbps to 25Mbps and the problem is that I am measuring only 15Mbps using speedtest.net.

On the day when the tech came out to install the new DSL modem, he noticed the difference and as part of troubleshooting, he bypassed the Linksys router and voila the net speed measured 25Mbps using speedtest.net.

So, why my Linksys WRVS4400N V1.1.13 acts like a bottleneck in this case? I didn't have this problem at the speed of 10Mbps. The upload speed is OK, it is 5Mbs with or without the DSL modem.

Does someone have any idea how to troubleshoot this problem?

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Geza, you may try disable the IPS. Also, you may want to use in-network speed test for the DSL line, not a generic site like speedtest.net

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the tipp on disabling the IPS, I did it and the speedtest.net test resulted in 21Mbps.

So, it is already a great improvement.

It is interesting though, that on the IPS page of the router, all four protocols were disabled (http, ftp, telnet and rpc), so I am not sure if it was doing anything useful anyway. Am I right?

Since the tech from my ISP was using speedtest.net for testing and did get 25Mbps, I figured that it should work for me too. I am not sure if our ISP has a website for the same purpose.

In order to eliminate any bugs I was considering upgrading the firmware on my router, but I am not sure which firmware I should use, it seems to me that there are two sets of firmwares available for my router one with VPN version 1.xx the other one is VPN ver. 2.xxx

The model# of my router is WRVS4400N v1.1  but I am not sure whether to upgrade to one or the other VPN version is up to me or the VPN version range is already set in my router and I cannot upgrade to 2 from 1 in case I have VPN v1. (How can I tell which version of VPN I have on my router?)

8 hours later I added this text:

I did another test on speedtest.net and at this time I got 24.35Mbps, so you were right, speedtest.net won't give you a reliable speed value if you just run it once and you want to make a decision based on that. (Btw., I contacted our ISP, they don't have a net speed measuring website within their own network.)

So, I am done with the speed problem thanks to your right on target suggestion, but could you please, answer my other two questions:

- Was the IPS in my router doing anything usefull to me since all 4 protocolls were disabled - until now?

- About the firmware dilemma.

Thanks.