cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need some advice with RVS4000 Firmware Upgrades

fredprinz
Level 1
Level 1

I have a lot of years working on computers and setting up small networks at home and in our office. However, I'm fairly new to updating Cisco routers, and I have some questions that I’ve researched but haven’t found any definitive answers. 

I need to update the firmware in an RVS4000v1 router in our office.  The router was purchased about three or four years ago and the firmware was never updated.  It is currently at version V1.1.14!  I have found three upgrades that are not yet installed: RVS4000-1320.img, RVS4000v1_V1.3.3.5.img, and RVS4000v1_ver1.3.3.6.img. 

• First question: Do I need to install each upgrade in date of release order, or can I just upgrade to the latest version? 

• Second question: The RVS4000 Administration Guide, OL-22605-02 firmware upgrade instructions state that after downloading the firmware, which I have done, I should “Extract the firmware file on your computer”.  I was unable to open the .img file or load it on CD or flash drive.  I did find notes in the forums to use the .img file as is, and load it when prompted on the router’s Firmware Upgrade page.  Can anyone confirm how I should use the .img file, extract the firmware or load the .img file as is.  My plan right now is to use it as is, unless I hear differently.

• Last question: Do any of the upgrades resolve the IPS slow downloads when enabled?

Any help with answers to any of my questions will really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Fred Prinz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello fredprinz,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue.  As for the firmware I checked the release notes and it did not state you needed to do a sequential upgrade to get to the latest firmware which is 1.3.3.6.

Link:  http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rvs4000/release/notes/rvs4000_rn_v1_3_3_6.pdf

The admin guide says extract because at one point it use to be in a .zip file (as it used to contain the .img file and the QVPN software) which they do not do anymore.  So you just need to point the RVS4000 to the .img file.

As for the question in regards to the IPS degrade in through put, this is a limitation of the hardware for processing.

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello fredprinz,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue.  As for the firmware I checked the release notes and it did not state you needed to do a sequential upgrade to get to the latest firmware which is 1.3.3.6.

Link:  http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rvs4000/release/notes/rvs4000_rn_v1_3_3_6.pdf

The admin guide says extract because at one point it use to be in a .zip file (as it used to contain the .img file and the QVPN software) which they do not do anymore.  So you just need to point the RVS4000 to the .img file.

As for the question in regards to the IPS degrade in through put, this is a limitation of the hardware for processing.

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.

Hi Michael,

Thanks very much for the rapid response to my questions.  With your inputs confirming what I suspected, I'm now ready to start the firmware upgrade tonight or possibly tomorrow night.

Fred Prinz

Hi Michael,

Just a follow-up, I completed the install of the latest firmware yesterday without any problems or issues.  

I also rechecked the effect of IPS on the download speed, and as you said, the upgrades did not fix the slow downloads with IPS enabled (hardware limitation of v1).  I have recommended to my wife and daughter (their office) to keep IPS enabled in spite of its lower download speed (15mb/sec) and not opt for the higher download speed (50 mb/sec).

Again, Thanks for your earlier help and advice.

Fred Prinz