Views
Helpful
Replies

Pls help, missing something simple

Michael
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your help.

I am new to routing and need some guidance.

I have two networks (I will call them A and B) and each has its own gateway (Comcast IP Gateways).

My Goal is to phase out the "A" network.  Step one is to get devices on network B, to see devices on Network A.

NOTE: I do not have access to the ASA 5505.  It was put in place by a vendor long ago, I have no idea of the password and I can not reset that device, I dont know how its configured so I cant recreate it. 

(192.168.60.x) Network A
First Network : Comcast router -> Cisco ASA 5505 -> 3Com 4400, 50 port switch.

(192.168.50.x) Network B
Second Network Comcast Router -> RV320 -> Netgear Prosafe 20 port switch

The Cisco Routers in each network are the DHCP Servers.

I have factory reset the RV320
I have the mode set to Gateway and the Comcast modem connected to WAN1.
I have the Netgear switch in port 1 (Network B) and the 3Com switch in Port 2 (network A)

I have configured VLans 1 and 25 to reflect IP's of 192.168.50.1 and 192.168.60.1 respectively.
RIP is enabled, both receive rip V1 & V2, and set to transmit broadcast.

I'm not sure of the IP address of the Comcast Modems.  The RV320 shows me 73.57.224.1 and that is Pingable from the Diagnostic Ping test.  It is not pingable from my workstation 192.168.50.101

I have a single static route set up as destination 192.168.60.0, 255.255.255.0, Router of last resort is 192.168.50.1  (Enabling this route has no effect on anything..)

IF i made my workstation IP static, and assign the adapter both 192.168.60.101 AND in advanced settings set up 192.168.50.101 and add both gateways 192.168.60.1 and 192.168.50.1, i can ping network B.  (however, i can not do that for the workstations in the company.  They are set to DHCP and need to remain as such).  

Current status: with DHCP enabled, i get an IP of 192.168.50.101 and I can not ping Network B.  I can ping the ports on the RV320, set at 192.168.50.1 and 192.168.60.1

Can someone make heads or tails of this?  What am i missing, to enable network A to see network B?

Thank you so much for your time

Michael 

8 Replies 8

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Need some clarification.

Is this a single location and you are trying to get both the A & B networks functional behind the RV320?

Is there only one Comcast router which you are plugging both the ASA and the RV320?

Thanks

single location.  The two networks have different functions but need to share the single printer.

There are two comcast routers.  One for each network.

OK, I haven't worked with the RV320, but it's either a configuration or routing issue that can be remedied. I'm just going to throw some things out there and hopefully something will stick.

1. For starters I suggest breaking this down to its simplest elements and disconnect the NetGear and remove the static routes from the RV320. Plug your workstation into port 1 and verify you get an IP address if it's DHCP and can ping the gateway. Do the same with port 2.
  2. Then make sure you have inter VLAN connectivity. Be best if you had two devices with one plugged into each port. According to the manual:
    1. By default VLAN 25 is a guest VLAN and is disabled. It's not clear if a guest VLAN would have any restrictions, but it might be easier just to use VLANs 1 & 2, or make sure it is enabled anyway.
    2. By default the firewall denies access if a LAN IP is on a network that has not been explicitly allowed. Verify these networks are allowed.
    3. By default inter VLAN traffic is not allowed. So make sure this too is enabled
  3. Is the NetGear switch also configured with the two VLANs and is the connection from the NetGear to the RV320 and 3Com in the appropriate VLAN?
    1. The next step would then be to make the two connections from the NetGear to the RV320 (no 3Com) and with test devices in the appropriate VLANs on the switch verify functional by doing steps 1 & 2 again. Once working you should be in pretty good shape to then connect the 3Com and establish connectivity.
  4. I assume that the current devices on Network A get their DHCP IP from the ASA. I would also assume that their default gateway is 192.168.60.1 which is the ASA. So unless your goal is to disconnect the ASA and take control of that network through the RV320 you will have an address conflict. For testing purposes it may be a good idea to temporarily assign the Network A VLAN interface a different address on the RV320 just to make sure you can ping devices off the 3Com switch. That will prove connectivity.
  5. Until the RV320 takes over for the ASA the devices on Network A will probably never know how to get to 192.168.50.x. This is because they will go to their gateway, the ASA, which doesn't know the 192.168.50.x exists or have a route to it.

Hope this will be of some help. Below is the link of the RV320 manual I have referenced.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv320/administration/guide/en/rv32x_ag_en.pdf

Regards

I think your problem is going to come down to 2 internet connections and one default gateway if you need the bandwidth on both internet connections.  Normally with 2 routers you set up a routing statement to point to the other router but you don't have access to the ASA 5505.  I think you are out of luck unless you run a layer 3 switch which you have control over.  I think the simple way would be to have one internet connection big enough and start moving stuff over to the network you have control over.

thanks Lee, thanks Chrihussy

i hear you Lee but i dont understand why i can not accomplish even one way communication from Network A to network B.

192.168.50.x can not see 192.168.60.x unless i manually enter a static IP on my machine (on the physical network 192.168.50.x).  With a static IP (192.168.60.x), i can see, Ping, and access the printer on 192.168.60.x.  

If i static IP my machine with a 192.168.50.x IP, i can not.

Router is set to Gateway mode.  Vlan 200 and Vlan 300 are enabled and configured to the IP's of 192.168.50.0 and 192.168.60.0 respectively.

Port 1 is connected to the 192.168.50.x network and port 2 is connected to the layer 2 net gear switch of 192.168.60.x

I have a single static route entered, destination 192.168.60.0 to  gateway 192.168.50.1.

with this configuration, I should be able to ping a 192.168.60.x IP from the 192.168.50.x network.

I just dont understand why this simple, two stand alone Lans connected by one router can not establish a simple ping to the other network.

again, i am not trying to establish any communication to the WAN or from the 192.168.60.x network to the 192.168.50.0 network.  So the 2nd networks gateways and routers should not come into play at all. right?? 

OK. Chances are very good that all the devices on the 192.168.60.x network use the ASA as their default gateway. I assume the ASA knows nothing of the 192.168.50.x network. So you may very well be reaching the 192.168.60.x from the .50 but nothing will make it back.

If you can ping the devices on the 192.168.60.x network from the RV320 and your main goal is to simply share a printer on that network. By changing the default gateway on the printer to the VLAN interface of the RV320 you may accomplish your task.

Also, please note the earlier post about the RV320:

• By default the RV320 firewall denies access if a LAN IP is on a network that has not been explicitly allowed. Verify these networks are allowed.
  • By default inter VLAN traffic is not allowed on the RV320. So make sure this too is enabled

Hope this helps

the firewall is completely disabled, the Vlan is setting is set to allow inter vlan traffic.

I can ping each network only if the IP of my machine is of that network.

If I configure my machine with .60 IP, i can ping the .60 network.

If i configure my machine with .50 IP, i can ping the .50 network.

If my IP is .60, i must enter 192.168.60.9, to access the RV320.  The diagnostics ping will ping any IP on the .60 network and will ping the .50 Vlan ip on the router (192.168.50.1)  You can not reach any other IP on the .50 network if my IP is from the .60 nework.

the same is exactly true for having my IP configured with .50 IP.  I can see all of .50, I can see none of .60 other than the IP which the .60 Vlan port is configured with (192.168.60.9).  you can not reach any other IP on the .60 network if my workstations IP is set to the .50

*** If i enter the advance configuration of the IPV4 protocol and enter the second IP (192.168.60.100), and enter a 2nd gateway as 192.168.60.9, I can see all computers and printers from both networks.

however, entering both IP's in my companies workstations is not possible so the solution must come from the router, not the workstation.

I do not require communication from the printer to the workstations.  the workstations need only to be able to print.

This should be so simple.  You should not need two routers to make two separate networks see eachother.

Should be, network A, connnects to port 1, network B connects to port 2.  Port 1 is forwarded to port 2, and port 2 is forwarded to port 1.

its so simple its frustrating.!

There is no one way communication.  PING require 2 way communication.  There is a send to the network and the other network needs to know where to send the return communication. 2 way communication is always required.  You don't have access to setup the other side of the communication.

If there is a routing protocol which you can tap then both networks will become aware of each other.  Then the problem of one default gateway comes into play which will cause a problem for 2 WAN separate connections.