Views
Helpful
Replies

Prioritising Traffic RVS4000 advice please

neilmac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks.

I have an RVS4000 with 4 VLAN's arriving via a trunk port. I would like to prioritise the traffic to allow VLAN 100 the lion's share of traffic, 200 and 300 to get middle priority  and VLAN500 to basically only get what's left over when the other VLANS are in use.

Please would anyione tell me if it's possible, and if so, how to do it, and if not, what could I use instead ?

Many thanks,

NM

3 Replies 3

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi neilmac,

I haven't tried this before so i don't know if it's possible or not. I found the following in the Admin Guide and it may be worth a try:

Bandwidth
This section lets you specify the maximum bandwidth provided by the ISP on the WAN interface, for both the upstream and downstream directions.

Bandwidth Management Type
Type The desired type of bandwidth management, either Rate Control or Priority (default). Depending on your selection, the lower portion of the window displays either the Rate Control section or the Priority section.

Rate Control
Service Select the service from the drop-down menu. If it does not contain the service you need, click Service Management to add the service.
IP Enter the IP address or IP range you need to control. The default is zero which includes all internal IP addresses.
Direction Select Upstream for outbound traffic or Downstream for inbound traffic.
Mini. Rate Enter the minimum rate for the guaranteed bandwidth.
Max. Rate Enter the maximum rate for the guaranteed bandwidth.
Enable Check this box to enable this Rate Control Rule.
Add to list After a rule is set up, click this button to add it to the list. The list can contain a maximum of 15 entries

This seems to indicate that you can prioritize bandwidth based on IP range. You can find this information starting at page 67 of the Admin Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rvs4000/administration/guide/RVS4000_AG_OL-22605.pdf

Please let us know if this works or not.

Many thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated.

I did have a look at this however, what it seems to do is reserve a portion of the total bandwidth for each range.

So, say I give my main subnet 60% of the bandwidth, what if the other 40% is unused, then the main subnet still will only get 60%. What I would like i:

Priority subnet:

100% of the bandwidth if no other user on any other subnet is online.

60% minimum of total when other subnets are online.

Middle Subnet:

30% minimum of total when other subnets are online.

Low Priority Subnet:

10% minimum of total when other subnets are online.

From the notes you sent, it looks like if I used this set up, the priority subnet would only ever get 60% of the total bandwidth, regardless of whether any user was on any of the other subnets.

Do you know if this is the case ?

Many thanks once again,

NM

Neil,

What caught my eye was the words "guaranteed bandwidth". I presume that this means that if there is no bottleneck there will be no throttling. So Low Priority Subnet should get 100% of available bandwidth provided there is no traffic on the other subnets. If Priority Subnet has traffic the bandwidth will be guaranteed to it. I may be reading this wrong, like I said I haven't tested it myself. Please post the results if you test this before I get a chance to.