Views
Helpful
Replies

Request Smooth/Fast Roaming report

JasonHuang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I'd like to know the the time interval between Authentication and the ACK of EAPOL message 4 while smooth roaming (without 11k & 11r) in PEAP/TLS/TTLS security. How much time can be reduced by using 11r?

Where can I find the test report for us to reference? 

Router: AIR-CAP3602E-N-K9.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi, not that I am aware of.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi

For smooth roaming you should not see EAPOL messages. EAPOL messages are exchange during full authentication process in order to exchange the Keys. Once it´s done, the PMK is saved on the AP and shared between APs. During the roaming, you should see only:

Probe Request
Probe Response
Auth Request
Auth Response
Re Association Request
Re Association Response
DATA

If you are seing EAPOL on the roaming process, this means that the clients is performing full authentication again. This is not roaming, this de-authentication and re-authentication.  Would be like you are moving between different networks.

But, for EAP timers, you can check this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/wlan_security.html 

Hi Miranda,

I forgot to define smooth roaming in here that may cause you misunderstand.

Smooth roaming: Legacy mode will do 4-way after reassociation.

Fast roaming (FT): Fast Basic Service Set (BSS) Transition (802.11r).

Currently we got below roming time (start with Authentication req. ) in TLS security:

Legacy: 145ms

FT over-the-air: 25ms

Not sure what the ideal roaming time is. Do you have any detail test data for us reference?

Thank you.

Hi @Flavio Miranda,

This article is useful for me.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/116493-technote-technology-00.html#anc5

Do you have others detail data or sniiffer capture like this article can share with me?

Thank you.

Hi

You can run Wi-Fi capture with Wireshark. However, not in Windows machine with default driver. Wither you use Linux machine or Windows machine with external wifi adapter that supports promiscuos mode.

Hi @Flavio Miranda,

I mean does Cisco have legacy roaming and 11r roaming performance test report?

Thank you.

Hi, not that I am aware of.