cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV 042 & QUICK VPN CONNECTION PROBLEM

glade3432
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I guess I am a dunce head as I can not get the quick VPN from my netbooks/ laptops to connect to my work VPN.

I have succesfully managed to install the unit and made some rules/forwarding to get our SBS 2003 server to work and the firewall to allow e-mails on to exchange etc. We can also get e-mails from outside via webb access.

We also run a service management server, which is a different IP than the SBS box and have manged for remote engineers to contact that server via PDA all OK.

All the office can see and use the internet fine.

However, we want remote workers with netbooks or laptops to be able to RDP to their desktops, hence we need the VPN. I have installed on 2 netbooks, 1 win7 and the other win xp but neither will conect.

So as I said I am a dunce LOL. I do not know what other information you may need to help me? Can anyone offer help at all?

Many thanks, Robin.

7 Replies 7

glade3432
Level 1
Level 1

Just bumbping this up as I am really struggling to get this conne

cted. I am thinking it is just a forwading or access rule. Anyone help me please? Thanks. Robin

Hi Robin--Just a few things to start with that may help. On the RV042 under the Firewall please disable "Block WAN Requests" also on the Client machines for WIN XP the Windows Firewall must be turned off and for the WIN 7 it must be turned on. Also a biggie is the RV042 must have a direct public IP address for QVPN to work and not behind another router. These are just a few things to check. I am going to send you a short QVPN troubleshooting guide that may help.

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business SUpport Center

I just went ahead and attached the guide for you here.

THANKS

RICK

Thanks for replying Rick, its very good of you.

Right, I have read the guide and taken action from that with no positive results. I cant do the port queries until later this evening and will give you the results of that part later.

I have tried with Firewalls on and off.

We have a static IP address.

Disabled the WAN block rule.

No other routers involved.

I have found that in the forwarding section of the setup that we cannot connect to our SBS2003 server if the rule for all ports/all types is not made. But when that rule is deleted I can connect to the VPN but I get the "The remote gateway is not responding, do you want to wait" notice. The Router is saying that I am "online" but I can not see anything. In the log it says "Failed to ping remote VPN server".

When I have looked in to this further I have made another (hopefully better?) rule to say only certain ports, (up to 8079) all traffic. This has allowed us to get on to OWA and the SBS server to Terminal service the desk tops. On trying the quick VPN it still says the same errors, I.E. It connects but cant ping.

I am guessing this must be a port error somewhere?

Once again thanks for your help so far.

Hey Robin,

What port forwards are you forwarding?  Quickvpn uses the following ports 443 or 60443 as phase 1, this authenicates your username and password to the router.  Then it uses ports 500 or 4500 to get phase 2 and finishes the tunnel.

If those one of those ports in both phases is not open or not being forwarded it should work.

What are the lan ip addresses on both sides?  Are they the same lan or are they different?

Are you able to connect at all from any pc or have you only tested from your office.  This test will let us know if the router is not allowing connection to the router or if it is something on the client pc that is messing up the quickvpn software.

You can also use the pptp vpn function on the router, you can create the users and use the windows vpn function to connect to the router.

Hi all, firstly I would like to thank everyone that has helped offer suggestions on this problem. Your help has been much appreciated. I have finally got it all to work across broadband Internet with the QVPN.

The solution was in two stages.

First was a problem with the 3G dongles not allowing any "Ping" to work. It was showing as connected to the VPN but I was getting the "Awaiting verification" problem. This still has to be addressed somehow as the reason for the VPN is to allow remote sessions to travelers! Vodaphone have been asked about it but seem totally disinterested in considering a solution at this point! Maybe its time we changed our airtime provider! Any help on this problem will still be welcome, thanks.

The second problem, was with the Norton Firewall. I had to alter a couple of rules relating to ICMP and Pings. And voila! It worked! Even though previously I had disabled the firewall on Norton it still did not let it through with out the tweak! Very strange. It also does not matter if Win XP firewall or Win 7 firewall is on or off as I tried all different permutations as a test on this so I think that is a red herring.

I am at a loss really as to why it did not work on the dongles and why it started working after on the broadband with the Norton tweak but there you are, it works. I think many people were getting hung up on much more technical and sophisticated reasons than is required.

Once again if anyone has a dongle fix it would be appreciated as our netgear solution has allways worked fine on the 3G route.

Lastly many thanks again for those who helped.

Robin

Robin--So glad you got it working. Thanks for keeping us posted. 

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business Support Center