cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 reports tunnel disconnection without connection for foreign IP, Security issue?

ts
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

we are recently working with a RV042 router, with VPN group tunnel (connectig throw shrew VPN). Last days router is logging disconnections like this ("[XXX]" text replaced for security reasons)

Dec  9 17:02:58 2014 XXX VPN Log: (grpips0)[72] [XXX].[XXX].[XXX].0/24=== ...113.240.173.58===?: [Tunnel Disconnected] instance with peer 113.240.173.58 {isakmp=#0/ipsec=#0}

But NO RELATED "connections" (apart from our own controled connection/disconnection) is reported previously. Is this a security issue/breach?

(The foreign IP was left clear so if anyone knows about that particular IP, can make a comment.)

Thanks in advance. Regards, Juan.

6 Replies 6

Zach S
Level 1
Level 1

Juan,

Unless you have someone telecommuting from central China, then it's likely a breach. You may want to flatout block that IP address while you investigate. See below for a link to a WHOIS search on the IP address.

WHOIS Info: https://isc.sans.edu/ipinfo.html?ip=218.75.199.50&update=yes

Thanks Zach,

but IPs continue changing (3 times, 3 different IPs, on using google belonged to AT&T???). What else can I do apart from blocking IPs (than will eventually change every time)?

Regards, Juan.

Juan,

The unfortunate nature of the internet is just what you said, an attacker can pretty easily change their route to your network and obscure their identity with proxies. You could switch to a whitelist approach at your boundary, as in allow only your known IP's and block everything else, or get a firewall for boundary that has a bit more intelligent controls. The Cisco ASA for example doesn't allow incoming connections from unsecure (internet) sources, unless the request originated from a higher security port (your internal network). 

Zach,

I will try to use that approach while using dynamic IPs to connect to VPN (cannot build an stable whitelist, and this can lead to connection lost in the near future until new IP is registered in the remote router).

What I do not understand is:

• router logs a disconnection without a previous connection
  • no other activity is detected on the VPN (perhaps only spying?)
  • when I disconnect, two logs are generated (in order of appearance)
    • Dec [xxx] [xxx]:[xxx]:[xxx] 2014 3EFF-3196 VPN Log: (grpips0)[73] 192.168.2.0/24=== ...[xxx].[xxx].[xxx].[xxx]===?: [Tunnel Disconnected] instance with peer [xxx].[xxx].[xxx].[xxx]{isakmp=#0/ipsec=#0}
      Dec [xxx] [xxx]:[xxx]:[xxx]2014 3EFF-3196 VPN Log: (grpips0)[73] [xxx].[xxx].[xxx].0/24=== ...[xxx].[xxx].[xxx].[xxx]===? #220: [Tunnel Established] ISAKMP SA established

• when foreign IP disconnects, only one is generated (e.g. whitout #220)

Does this have an explanation?

Thanks again, Juan.

Juan,

Unfortunately I could only speculate on that behavior. However you could probably get a bit more lucky on the Security section of the Cisco forums, versus Small Business. That's where the CCNP and CCIE Security gurus hang out.

Thank you Zach,

I'll try that forum as well.

Regards, Juan.