cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 Small business router - Wake on lan (over internet)

lorividcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, i saw older discussions over WOL and RV082/RV042.

As router blocks broadcast packets from internet to lan, to make WOL work, i should change router's ARP table using telnet, probably with V1 and V2 versions this action was possible, but trying telnet connection (http://<Router IP Address>/sysinfo123.htm?ConsoleSimulation=1 with RV082 V3 nothing appears, and telnet connection on standard port (23) fails.

Does anyone know how to make pass WOL magic packets through a RV082 V3 from internet to LAN ?

Using simply port forwarding don't work, as router discard broadcast packets incoming from internet.

39 Replies 39

I have tried ports 7,8,9 and 10.  I have also tried other ports.  I have told the Windows Firewall to not block any of these (just as a test to see if it would work while the computer is on).  None of this works.

Nothing in the router logs anything when I send a packet, even with all logging options turned on. Here is a Cisco Emulator for this router:

https://www.cisco.com/web/sbtg/gui_mockups/RV110W/default.asp.htm

Use Administration/Logging to enable logging and use Status/ViewLogs to see the info.  I really appreciate the effort you are putting in this.  I will be out of town for a few days starting today so I will probably not be able to respond until Sunday or maybe late Saturday. I assumed I would get this working by now so I could have tested it from a hotel!

Did you succeed to wakeup the pc doing  a workaround like this ?

- disable windows firewall

- send the magic packet from another pc connected on the same lan (via the switch, not the router) using one

utility available for the wol.

if you dont succeeded in waking the pc, means that you have to go thru the pc's bios and ethernet board configuration.

Yes Luigi, it works if I use a dumb switch rather than go through the RV110W firewall.  I do not even need to disable Windows Firewall, works great every time.

I will tell you my experience in wol my Qnap storage.

I had (unfortunately now out of order, this is the reason why I am here at cisco forum) a zyxel router very similar to Rv110w.

I made a routing rule to route udp port 9 to the ip of the host to be waked up (the Qnap storage).

then I went thru the ARP table and discovered taht after a time-out (how much ?) the entry of my Qnap was discarded

from the arp table.

So, I made a static entry in the ARP table in order to match the IP address of the Qnap storage with its MAC address.

In my opinion, without this entry , the router does not know were the magic packet has to be delivered.

Did you  went thru the ARP table of the router ? Do you see the entry of the PC with its MAC address.
I see on page 145 of the manual that

The IPv4 ARP Table displays information from devices that have responded to the

Cisco RV110W address resolution protocol (ARP) request. If a device does not

respond to the request, it is removed from the list.

Unquote

After which time the entry of the host is discarded from the ARP table ? they don't state....

I had a similar experience with Linksys router...

Give a look to the arp table and let me know.

I am going to purchase a RV110w router view fact my zyxel router passed away for the second time

but I would like to avoid to face funny products like lynksys.

ciao.

Static IP's are configured in this router under "Networking/Lan/Static DHCP".  One of the first things I did when I set up the router was set the computer's IP address to static, so yes this was done.

If you look at one of my previous posts I provided a link to a Cisco RV110W emulator so you can play with the software.

I would not buy this router if I were you.  So far nobody from Cisco has responded to this thread, and I noticed from other threads that is not uncommon.  You will not get support from Cisco if you have problems.

I tried the following and it works (I can wake up a remote PC from internet to LAN, through a cisco RV082 firewall router)

First of all I used Aquilawol wake on lan utility you can find here (free software under GPL license):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/aquilawol/

After installation I set up a new PORT FORWARDING RULE (no access rule settings needed), in my case PORT FORWARDING is under SETUP menu of router web configuration page. When you set up a new forwarding rule the firewall opens a port itself. Rule have to forward any UDP packet received by the router on port 9, to internal LAN address of your pc to wake (192.168.0.2 for example).

Then I set up  Aquilawol utility, from the main page I created a new entry machine, called MY_PC; this is the machine to wake.

The properties of My_PC are the following:

Name: a name of your choice

MAC Address: mac address of your pc to wake

IP Address: LAN ip address of your pc to wake

Broadcast: WAN (internet) public ip address of your router

in this case default port used is UDP port 9, for TTL I used default value

When waked up, PC was in hibernation state.

That's all !

Thanks again, Loris, you got me a little closer...

OK, I downloaded that program and for the first time I was able to wake the computer up through the RV110W on the LAN. Before I could only do this using a dumb switch.

I have a mifi card so I can access the internet independant of the RV110W.  When I try and wake up the computer through the internet I cannot get it to work.  I think the problem MAY be that my internet provider does not respond to pings, but I am not sure if this is the problem.  I played with it for a few hours without success.  I can access the computer over the internet using Remote Desktop, so there must be a way.

Can you ping your internet provider's WAN address?

Edit:

You can check if your WAN address can be pinged using this website:

http://network-tools.com/

Yes I can ping my router and I can connect to configuration page of my router from internet, becouse my provider gives a public IP address. Routers normally don't respond to ping on internet port for security reasons (due to their default configuration)

If your router does not have a public IP address and your router is unreachable from another internet connection (in this case you cannot connect to router configuration page from internet) I think there's nothing you can do (except that change provider).

Instead, If you can connect to router page from internet (if you have a dynamic DNS service for example), try to connect to your router using a VPN connection (PPTP for example), then try to send magic packet over VPN, becouse in this situation you are working as a local machine (but be mind that normally you can not send broadcast packets over VPN, so you have to use IP address of your PC and not the broadcast address of your LAN).

In my case I use a VPN to wake Up my computer (is a bit more secure than leave port 9 open on firewall).

OK, thank you Loris.  I will to configure a VPN next.  This is actually something I was planning on doing eventually anyway, this just gives me a reason.  On to the next adventure...

I AM SOOOO CLOSE....

OK, I got the VPN working and connected.  It was a battle for reasons I will not describe but it is working now.  When connected through the VPN I can ping any computer on the network.  I can also log into the router.

BUT I cannot wake up the computer.  I can still wake up the computer on the LAN, but going through the VPN it does not wake up.  I believe it has something to do with this quote:

...you can not send broadcast packets over VPN...

I tried to set the address to just the computer address, it does not work.  What I THOUGHT should work is the following:

Assume the target computer IP is 192.168.2.1

In the WOL program:

IP Address: 192.168.2.1

Broadcast: 255.255.255.255

Which does not work.  It does not work on the LAN either.

This DOES work on the LAN:

Broadcast: 192.168.2.255

But this does not work over the internet (through the VPN tunnel).  I then tried just about every combination you can imagine with no luck.

I then tried turning off many of the router's security settings, one at a time, to see if maybe i.e. DoS was the problem.  I still could not get it to work.  Any ideas?

I am starting to feel like this is the most challenging thing I have ever tried to accomplish in my life.  At this point I have so much time and effort investing in getting this working that quitting just seems to have too large a sunk cost.

Try to use this address:

Broadcast: 192.168.2.1

Instead of:

Broadcast: 192.168.2.255

Surely that problem regards broadcast address that cannot be used outside LAN (including VPNs).

The application I use on my mobile phone sends UDP packet directly to Pc ip address (it doesn't use broadcast).

With mc-wol for example you cannot wake up PC outside lan, becouse it uses broadcast.

Yeah, I tried that one too.

I thought I got it working this morning, wrong!  If I put the computer to sleep and send the command within just 5 seconds it does wake up.  If I wait longer than 5 seconds it is DEAD.

I tried something new today, did not work any better.  I downloaded the wolcmd.exe from depicus.com and tried running it in a batch file.  Again- this only works if I send the command within 5 seconds of sleep:

wolcmd MACid 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.255 9

this also works:

wolcmd MACid 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.255 9

this also works:

wolcmd MACid 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.1 9

But any of these work all the time if I execute them from within the LAN.  Going through the VPN tunnel they only work within ~5 seconds of sleep.  Sometimes I need to wake the computer after more than 5 seconds, so that won't really suffice.

I am out of ideas.  Could the RV110W be treating these WOL commands differently than your router?  Is there some function in the router that needs to be enabled/disabled?

IMHO try to go thru the arp table and check if there is entry with the ip and the mac address of the pc

Check client lease time in DHCP settings (set this value to 24 hours or more), and when you turn your pc in sleep or hibernation mode, check port ethernet led on your router (is it on for only 5 seconds after shutdown and then switch to off ?)

Problem you described may be due to the erasing of ARP entry of PC address from the router, as Luigi says.

Is the firmware of RV110 upgraded at the latest version ?

I did not get a chance to play with it this afternoon, I will have to try this weekend.  I am backing up my desktop computer right now (takes about 3 hours) so I cannot try anything right now.

The lease time was set to "0", which the firewall claims equates to 24 hours. I just changed it to 9999 minutes which should last 6 days.

The firmware is the latest version. (1.2.0.9)

That is a good suggestion with the ARP table.  The ARP table is accessed through a command prompt, correct?