Level 1

I have a customer with the following topology:

Dallas:

Netopia R910 router

Windows 2003 Server

San Antonio:

Cisco RV120W Router

Thin client devices connecting to Windows 2003 Server

Okidata 3410 Dot Matrix printer with Dlink DP301P+ Print Server attached to Parallel Port

If a user sends a picking ticket larger than 6 or 7 pages (not really that much data) to the Okidata printer with the attached print server, the RV120W router will completely lock up.  The connection between the two routers is lost, and the router must be physically rebooted.  This behaviour is fairly consistent on the larger documents described.  Pick tickets of less than 6 pages print without any issues.  I've examined the data stream and see nothing of consequence in the larger documents.  There is no effect on the Dallas router.

An IPSEC tunnel exists between the two routers.

Any ideas on what could be causing the router to freeze?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, post in "small business - routers". You can move your post using the Actions panel on the right.

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

Sounds like the printer cannot handle the data sent

Is the PC's Bios with the Parrallel printer attached set for Bi-Directional? 

Personnally I'd put in a better printer as it sound like the printer cannot handle the amount of data sent to it. Something with some decent RAM to buffer the data.

you could also try changing the spooling options. Make sure the Print Spooler on the PC attached is set to "Start Printing after the last page is spooled." and not start printing immediately.

Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org

Regards Simon

Simon,

The printer is not attached to a PC.  It is attached to the network via the previously noted DLink DP301P+ print server.  While I would agree that buffering could be a problem on the printer server, that does not explain why the RV120W router totally freezes.

Thanks for the response,

Sam

is the printing done via multicast? is the rv unit somehow blocking it? have you tried testing sending a very large file to a PC from the remote site just to see if it is a print or data issue? if the rv unit locks up sending ANY data the we can rule out the print server.

Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org

Regards Simon

not printing through multicast

The RV only locks up when sending a larger print job.  It prints smaller print job without any problems.