cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV134W and BT Broadband

amitc
Level 1
Level 1

I wonder if someone could please point me in the right direction.

I have just bought an RV134W to connect to my BT Broadband (to replace the HomeHub) but I'm struggling to get it to connect.  I have a copper connection but I'm not sure if it's classed as Fibre broadband or not.  I usually get about 70Mb download speed if that tells you anything.

On the WAN page under global settings I set the connect mode to DSL and the DSL transfer mode to ATM.  Editing the DSL_ATM_WAN etc xDSL WAN connection I have set the internet connection type to PPPoA, multiplexing to VC, VPI to 0, VCI to 38, DSL Modulation to G.dmt, username to bthomehub@btbroadband.com, and the password to bt (as it won't accept nothing).

The router does not have the DSL indicator lit as it does when the DSL transfer mode is set to auto, which makes me wonder if it is even trying to use the ATM connection.  Also, in the logs I get:

ssk: ->(ssk) dsl_link_up 0 eth_link_up 0

kernel: Line 0: xDSL G.994 training 

ssk: ->(ssk) dsl_link_up 0 eth_link_up 0

kernel: Line 0: ADSL link down

This just repeats thereafter.

I have updated the firmware to 1.0.1.20.

Can anyone please suggest where I'm going wrong?  Thanks in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

kennith981
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am fairly confident that BT uses PPPOe and vrigin use PPPOa. You need to ensure the username is correct and the password is correct, also check the authenication type is CHAP or PAP usually says on the bt account.

Kind regards

Zak Kennedy

View solution in original post

All sorted, the missing key was that the WAN connection needed to use VLAN 101 (which was not editable and so I created a new connection which then allowed the VLAN settings to be configured).  So just in case anyone runs into the same problem then the full list of settings for BT Broadband FTTC as of July 2020 is:

Connect Mode : DSL

DSL Transfer Mode: PTM

WAN Connection Type: PPPoE

DSL Modulation: VDLS2

PPPoE Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

PPPoE Password: <Space key once>

VLAN: Enable

VLAN ID: 101

802.1p Priority: 0

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

kennith981
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am fairly confident that BT uses PPPOe and vrigin use PPPOa. You need to ensure the username is correct and the password is correct, also check the authenication type is CHAP or PAP usually says on the bt account.

Kind regards

Zak Kennedy

Thanks for that Zak. 

I think that has helped as the DSL light is now staying on solid green.  However the internet light is showing solid red and the logs keep repeating "Starting PPP" so there's still something not quite right.  I can't definitively see what the BT password should be anywhere, with various sources suggesting that it should be either bt, BT, a single space, or blank.  I cannot leave the password blank as the router does not allow this, from the http interface anyway, but I have tried the other options. I have also tried both PAP and CHAP authentication type with each of these passwords.  So in short I think it is probably the BT credentials that I am stalling at, so if anyone has any further suggestions as to how I can set the password to blank or what else it might be, please let me know.

All sorted, the missing key was that the WAN connection needed to use VLAN 101 (which was not editable and so I created a new connection which then allowed the VLAN settings to be configured).  So just in case anyone runs into the same problem then the full list of settings for BT Broadband FTTC as of July 2020 is:

Connect Mode : DSL

DSL Transfer Mode: PTM

WAN Connection Type: PPPoE

DSL Modulation: VDLS2

PPPoE Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

PPPoE Password: <Space key once>

VLAN: Enable

VLAN ID: 101

802.1p Priority: 0