cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 Very Slow WAN/Internet Speed via WAP4410n (RV180 Port Speed Problem?)

robweb5mm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a basic set up on the RV180, no VPNs etc. running 1.0.5.4 Firmware (latest) and are using a  WAP4410n WAP plugged in to a LAN port on the RV180. I have a SG100D Gigabit Switch also connected to a RV180 port. My WiMax ISP supplies 12 Mb. 

When I leave Port speeds on the RV180 & WAP4410n on Auto Neg. they hook at 1Gb,  and I Rx. ONLY 2Mb Internet speed on Wireless clients with no dropped packets reported on either device,  when I change the port speed to 100Mb on the WAP4410n the speed is normal at 12 Mb!  Also the RV180 reports the LAN port speed to be 1Gb ... that is obviously erroneous!  Obviously, being forced to run the WAPs LAN port at 100Mb so I can get normal ISP speeds ... is throttling all my Wireless to Wired (and Visa Versa) LAN traffic.

I have tried numerous RV180 configs ie. Simplified to bare bones, swapped Cat 5e's etc. etc. with NO change.  With another Router their is no problem with the WAP4410N port at 1Gb and ISP speeds are normal. ISP speeds are also normal through the Gigabit switch to other boxes BUT, if I plug the WAP4410N into the Switch the WAN speed is back to 2Mb if the WAP4410N is set to 1Gb port speed!

With the RV180 incapable of setting a manual port speed of 100Mb (see Firmware 1.0.5.4 release notes), this strongly leads me to believe its a RV180 Port data problem somehow specific to the WAP4410N WAP.

Their are many posts reporting slow Internet with the RV180 but none of these have a solution.  Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated as Ive wasted too much time already trying to fix this ##$$///&÷ router. As this is my first post I trust I have posted in the correct forum.

Thanks ... Rob.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for the update.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Rob,

Have you tried a cross over cable between the RV180 and the WAP4410n. 

Thanks for your answer but I have found the problem in the WAP4410N Firmware release notes.

I have a V01 (first model WAP)

》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》

Changes Since WAP4410N Hardware Version VID: V01

WAP4410N now has an additional external crystal to its PHY chip for reducing clock jitter when it works with some gigabit switches. These jitters occur during a corner case of stressing heavy wired and wireless traffic.

Changes Since WAP4410N Firmware Version 2.0.0.5

The firmware was updated and problems were fixed in firmware version 2.0.1.0.

New Field Added

The “Force LAN Port Speed to 100M” field has been added to the Advanced Setup page. Enable this feature to force the link speed of the LAN port of the access point to be at 100 Mbps. For example, during a corner case of stressing heavy wired and wireless traffic with some gigabit switches, if the LAN port on a WAP4410N access point with an earlier hardware version stops responding, enable “Force LAN Port Speed to 100M” to resolve the issue.

》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》

So it appears as although the WAP was sold to me with the Specs. stating it had a Gb LAN PORT,  IT DOESNT WORK .... and the remedy is to add a field in a firmware update to force the port to 100 Mb SO IT WORKS. Please correct me if I am inaccurate with this statement?  If correct I will now refer to the Trade Practices Act.

Dear Cisco,

Please contact me regarding supplying a replacement WAP THAT ACTUALLY WORKS as per your published WAP specifications.

Thankyou.

Thank you for the update.