cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W pptp users unable to access subnet across tunnel

gmerilli99
Level 1
Level 1

I have two offices connected with an IPSEC VPN tunnel using RV220W routers.  The Tunnel works fine for local users between the two sites(Site 1:10.0.0.x; site 2 is 10.0.2.x).  I have also set up PPTP users for remote access.  PPTP users that connect to site 1 cannot access site 2 and vice versa.   The PPTP users have no trouble accessing the resources on the site that they connect to.  I have tried activating RIP and adding various static routes with no success.  If I PPTP connect to site 1 and I tracert to an IP address on site 2 the route goes to the site 1 router and then goes to the internet(connected to the site 1 router) where it stops.

any suggestions on how to fix this.

2 Replies 2

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Gregory,

There is two problems with this senario, First the major problem, PPTP does not do Split tunneling most of the time, this means you will most likely not be able to route to any other subnet other than the LAN subnet of the VPN router. You might be able to use Microsoft Add routes statements to add a route to the client for the remote subnet.

Second I can't tell what your configuration looks like on your RV's but it sounds like the only tunnel you have configured is from the 10.0.0.x to the 10.0.2.x subnet. You would need to add another IPSec vpn under the same IKE policy for subnet PPTP192.168.1.x to 10.0.2.x subnet. And the same on the remote side RV back so it knows where to send the PPTP subnet back to.

I have set this up on SSL VPN and works, because of the Split tunnel support with SSL VPN.

hope this helps,

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Thanks for the insight.....Once I added the additional tunnels PPTP worked great(as well as SSLVPN - with the appropriate tunnel).  QuickVPN did not work, but I suspect that this is because QuickVPN uses IPV6.  Unfortunately I am not versed in IPV6 and I am not sure how to add the appropriate IPV6 Tunnels.  This is not a big deal because all remote users here are using PPTP.

Thanks For your help.