cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 / 325 Dual WAN Question

rsfrank
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup these routers to basically take voice traffic and have it use one of the two WAN connections as it's primary and all other traffic use the other connection. I would like it so that if either connection fails they also failover between each other.  I can figure out how to split the traffic but can't seem to find a way to do the fail over as well... Is this possible with either of these routers?

Thanks,

Rod

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Rod,

The admin guide is a bit unclear about this, so I did setup an RV320 here in my lab just to confirm.

Whenever you setup a protocol binding, if the WAN it is bound to gets disconnected the bindings will automotically failover to the alternate WAN, and switch back when the correct WAN comes up again.

So you should be able to setup both WANs, put it in load balance with the appropriate traffic bound to whatever WAN you would like it to use, and they will failover if/when one of the WANs drops.

Let me know if you need any more information,

Christopher Ebert

---

Senior Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Rod,

The admin guide is a bit unclear about this, so I did setup an RV320 here in my lab just to confirm.

Whenever you setup a protocol binding, if the WAN it is bound to gets disconnected the bindings will automotically failover to the alternate WAN, and switch back when the correct WAN comes up again.

So you should be able to setup both WANs, put it in load balance with the appropriate traffic bound to whatever WAN you would like it to use, and they will failover if/when one of the WANs drops.

Let me know if you need any more information,

Christopher Ebert

---

Thank-you for this.  So I would assume this would work as well if instead of protocol I used subnet based binding?  With the voice vLAN it is all on a different subnet so I was thinking to use this vs. trying to figure out the Protocol Binding.

Thanks.

Hello Rod,

Your assumption is correct.  When you go in to setup the protocol binding simply select all traffic, with the source from VLAN 1, and specify the WAN you would like it to use, and do the same thing for the other VLAN to the other WAN.

Your rule would look something like this:

Service should be all traffic, source IP would be a range covering one VLAN, destination would be 0.0.0.0 to 0.0.0.0 and then select the WAN you want to use.

Then just setup another rule doing the same thing for the second VLAN and pointing out the other WAN port.

That way VLAN 1 would always use WAN1, unless it failed, and VLAN 2 would always use WAN2, unless that failed.  This allows you to utilize your links how you would like and still have failover.

Another thing to keep in mind with protocol binding is that most secure traffic (HTTPS, SSH, etc) usually needs to be bound to one WAN, however since you are setting up a binding for all traffic on the entire VLAN, that shouldn't be necessary for you.

Christopher Ebert

---

Thank-you for the help.  The Device arrives for me in the next day or two.  I'll post back here if I run into any issues but I suspect from what you've written this should be pretty smooth!

Thanks again for the help!

-Rod