cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 degrading performance

lancorp_dm
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new RV320 with the latest firmware.

The problem that I'm having is the RV320 will work fine for days, then, performance starts to decline and then it stops functioning, requiring a power reset.

I keep a ping monitor gadget on my desktop that watches ping times to various targets.  I keep it set to watch 3 ISP DNS servers, my RV320 (LAN side) and my cable modem (connected to WAN1).

Normally, ping times to RV320 and cable modem average 0-1ms.  My ISP's DNS (COX) is around 9ms.

When things start to go south, the ping times to the RV320 and modem are much higher and erratic.  There will be ping errors (times when there is no traffic passing for seconds at a time). 

This morning, I noticed this behavior and then the RV320 just stopped routing.  The admin interface stopped responding and there was no internet access.  Pings were down on all interfaces.  Packet loss percentages are rising before the total loss:

8-5-2013 6-00-24 AM.jpg

after power resetting the RV320, this is the more normal ping screen:

8-5-2013 6-27-47 AM.jpg

Is this a bad RV320 or a firmware bug?  Ideas?

Thanks.

32 Replies 32

Chris Coupland wrote:

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

Not yet.  I have been working with their tech support, but the process moves pretty slow. 

There isn't much to go on since the log files are pretty much useless.  They have me logging everything (all options checked) and the log only holds about an hour of info, almost all of which are "policy accepted" messages.  Useless.

They want me to check CPU usage, but I cannot find that anywhere in the management console.

I don't know about yours, but mine starts messing up as it nears 24 hours of uptime.  Coincidental or not, I'm not sure.

BUT, I'm looking into other devices as I don't have much confidence this will get resolved quickly.

This is great info.   After reading these posts as well as a few comments on the Net, It seems like Cisco has multiple issues with these SMB routers which have been going on for months (check reviews on other Cisco SMB routers as well).  It's clear Cisco SMB isn't the same Cisco as enterprise, but that's no excuse for putting out a beta product (at best). 

I really wanted to like the RV320s, but enough is enough.  Because of all these firmware defects and slow response times, I've begun searching for a new VPN router and came across The Zywall 110.  It's slightly more expensive, but reviews are good, and it has a 300mbps VPN throughput to boot.  Plus, Zywall seems to focus only on the SMB segment, which means all engineering resources are focused on the same segment.  I will miss my Cisco (size and power consumption were perfect), but bugs be gone!

I really wanted to like you Cisco, but if you keep putting out these shoddy SMB products and ignoring customer complaints, pretty soon you won't have any more complaints to worry about.  Your customers will have moved on.  Like I have.

I still have a few days to return my RV320 and get a refund.  I will look into the Zywall 100, and also TP-Link has a nice VPN Router I think I will try too, the TP-LINK TL-ER6120 Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN Router.  Zyxel looks like it has lots of models to choose from, but the ER6120 has lots of performance for less money (similar Zyxel is $900+).

Good luck!

I have a support ticket in now as well. Fingers crossed.

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

I dont understand that you all have these problems, for me it has been active for a month now without any problems and Fiber on WAN1 and Coax cable on WAN2 without any issues. Im running latest FW and havent had any issues at all, im extremely satisfied with the product.

Maybe someone from Cisco can actually respond to this and see if this can be fixed/solved with a FW upgrade?

Michiel,  it's nice to hear you're having a trouble-free experience with yours.  I wish I could say the same.

Obviously, since we're all running the same firmware, there must be some other reason, such as differences in configuration, that is causing this.  Whether it is VPN or SPI firewall or I don't know what, but it is relentless and having to reset my RV320 daily to fix it is not a solution.

I finally did receive a response from Cisco tech basically stating they ran MY config (I sent them an export of my RV320 config) for 30 hours and came up with nothing.  While that is a basic test, it's nowhere near conclusive and the real problem is that the log files are worthless as they don't contain any real information about what is going on with the router!  Mine is full of BLOCK and ALLOW attempts that fill so fast that only 1 hour of events is kept in the log.

So, basically, without any good diagnostic info (like detailed log files showing kernel issues) this problem will probably never be resolved.  I've had to move on and have returned my RV320 and am currently using a Netger UTM9S and have a new TP-LINK TL-ER6120 here to configure and try.  It looks like a powerful box and hopefully it wil work as advertised.

Oh but wait.

1) I have SPI disabled since some DNS lookups gave me problems with that enabled.

2) I dont use any VPN on my connections, for me its a pure Dual WAN Router.

Maybe those two things are the problem?

@Michiel - I also have SPI turned off and don't use VPN, so don't think this is the issue.

Still seeing this issue. I've had a case open with a cisco  engineer for a week now, and am running alpha firmware withough luck.

After a couple days, latency of all packets increases until the network is unusable. I mean, up to 3000ms ping times.

Same here.  Been running the test firmware since last week.  Within 24 hours I could see ping times starting to be erratic and within 48 hours the router was useless. 

With all that NDA cr@p we had to agree to, I didn't know if it was OK to post here about it or not.

ttist25
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar problem.  Latest firmware, two gateway-to-gateway VPN tunnels (actually 3).  With a fresh boot the device is pingable internally and consistently <1 ms.  After about two days it starts to return ping times that increase and decrease in a "wave".  It goes from <1ms up to 5ms, 10ms, 800ms, 1028ms, timeout, timeout, <1ms, 8ms, etc.  It continues like this until it's rebooted and then it seems to be fine for another day or two. 

It feels like a memory leak. 

I'm also having the "connected (inactive)" issue found here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4013380#4013380

So I have DMZ enabled on WAN2 and have the WAN2 port disabled so that WAN1 will come up. 

It would sure make things easier for us to assist with troubleshooting if we could get SSH access to these routers. 

lucashmz1
Level 1
Level 1

It's a pitty that Cisco did not fix this bug yet. I have this router working with 18 IPSEC gateway to gateway, and all of a sudden the performance starts to degradate. The instant solution is to reboot the router. Cisco, give us attention, please!

wjezewski
Level 1
Level 1

I just tried to upgrade to the 1.1.1.06 firmware that was released today in hopes that this issue would be resolved.

Unfortunately the router never successfully rebooted after loading the firmware. All I get is a flashing green PWR LED and solid red DIAG LED.

So it saying the new firmware that was just released broke your router ?

I have exactly the same problem with this new firmware and made another thread on it:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2258362

Keeps saying:

Critical failure. Please contact support.

Cisco please fix this asap!