Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 DHCP

c.ieven
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configured LAN port 4 to VLAN 4 and disabled the DHCP for this VLAN, after setting the DNS server to "Use DNS from ISP".

I can't use DHCP relay, as I don't know the DHCP server from the service provider.

The objective is to get the device connected to LAN port 4 an IP address from the service provider (WAN1) while devices on the other LAN ports are served by router's DHCP (which works fine by the way).

Although I have excluded LAN 4 from the default VLAN (1), the device is still getting an IP address from the routers DHCP.

What am I doing wrong ?

Christophe

4 Replies 4

Michael Vandergrift
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Christophe,

I understand that you want the RV320 to be the DHCP server for VLAN 1 but not VLAN 4.  You are correct to disable the DHCP server for VLAN 4.  You say "The objective is to get the device connected to LAN port 4 an IP address from the service provider".  Could you please explain more about this aspect of your configuration?  Is your Modem doing NAT and handing out private IP addresses or do you have a block of public addresses available?  I need to know more about the end goal you are trying to accomplish in order to help try and help you with your setup.  Thanks.

Regards,

Mike.V 

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your interest in this issue :-)

The device on LAN4 is actually a TV setup box. My WAN provider hands out IP addresses based on MAC addresses.

My router has a fixed public address on the WAN side. It's MAC address is configured on the ISP web portal, so it gets its IP address in the IP data range of the ISP.

Internal addresses are in the 192.168.0.x range which my router hands out to devices on VLAN1. 

I need the setup box to get an IP address from the ISP based on its MAC address (TV IP address range), basically bridging LAN4 to the WAN...

I hope this makes sense ?

Christophe

> basically bridging LAN4 to the WAN...

yes, but I am afraid that RV320 doesn't support such thing. simply you have to use switch ( 5-8 ports non managable switch is enough) and connect it between ISP and RV320. And put your TV to that switch so it can reach ISP network directly and receive desired address.

> I can't use DHCP relay, as I don't know the DHCP server from the service provider.

Even if you know IP of ISP DHCP server, DHCP relay function will not work like you expected and you will not receive any IP address for TV box. The reason is that DHCP relay is adding gateway IP (i.e. it's own IP address of receiving interface) into DHCP request (giaddr field of the DHCP packet) which point DHCP server to look for free IP from correct DHCP IP address pool. And because of that giaddr field, DHCP request did not match any existing IP pool (yes, because DHCP server did not recognize your internal subnet in it's own database) and no any DHCP offer will be provided...

I wanted to mimic the setup homenetwork.jpg, based on my old RV042 which broke down, but I can't get it to work correctly.

Initially, I wanted to take it one step further, in eliminating the SLM2008 by using the RV320 built-in switch in a similar way (homenetwork-new.jpg), but I guess that's way out there...

Thanks anyway.

Christophe