cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 slow WAN speeds

chrisguertin
Level 1
Level 1

I have upgraded a client to fibre 960Mbps/960Mbps Internet service.  The RV320-K9-NA (latest firmware, tried that first!) won't push the WAN interface at anything near that speed.  It seems to top out around 150/150.  They were previously on a 120/20 service, so I guess we never saw this issue and everything else on the router is working fine.  Its a relatively small network and the RV320 is connected to a 48-port Cisco Gigabit network switch.  All connections are gigabit, including RV320 WAN port to internet service.  If I plug a laptop directly into the internet service we get the full 960/960 speeds.  If I plug the laptop directly into a LAN port on the RV320 (gigabit full duplex) we're back to around 150/150 max speed.  Some published info suggests the RV320 should be about to handle around 900Mbps but I don't know what's wrong.  Are there some settings to make this work faster?  I have been through all the options with no success.  Thanks.

13 Replies 13

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @chrisguertin ,

Just to discard, try with the solutions proposed in this discussion:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-routers/internet-speed-very-slow-with-rv320/td-p/2564246

Regards

I tried all the items in that message thread (including placing a gig switch between the router and IPS demark) to no avail.
That's why I posted a new message, to see if the situation had changed lately.
Thanks.

Tried everything in that thread, even a gig switch between RV320 and ISP. No dice. That's why I posted a new message, hoping something new was known.

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you check the configs rate control table and max it out to ,,960 mbps for all lan clients. This thing should be able to pump out more than 150

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Did that.  That's how I got it from 80 to 150, by setting rate control upstream and downstream bandwidth for entire LAN IP range to 1000000/1000000.  That's also set in the WAN1 settings for "max rate from ISP" up and down.  150 is still a far cry from 960Mbps.

I had a RV320 router in the old days before my RV340 router.  It was able to pump out 325/23 speed on download using a 300 speed cable connection.  So your 150 speed sounds a little low to me.

I have ordered an RV340 in hopes that it's published specs are accurate as to 900Mbps NAT throughput.
Can you confirm that you are seeing those kinds of speeds with the RV340? Thanks.

I can not get gig service yet.  I am still hoping.  AT&T ran fiber thru my small town but only new neighborhoods getting it right now.

@chrisguertin- Did you ever resolve this issue?  I have the exact same issue with my 320 and have just ordered an RV340 in the same hopes you have.  Extremely interested in an update if you have one.

Thanks in advance,  Jason

I also gave up and ordered an RV340 and it is handing the 1Gbps/1Gbps fibre internet without a bottleneck and the failover works without a loss of speed as well (another RV320 issue). I have a 120Mbps/20Mbps service as a backup connection. WAN1 is the 1gig with top priority and WAN2 has the slower service. The slower service comes online if I unplug the other one. I've had this set up for about a week and so far so good.

That is great to hear - thank you very much for the update.  My Rv340 should arrive tomorrow.

No problem. Glad to help!

mjgarner
Level 1
Level 1

I know that this is an older thread but I wanted to add my recent experience here in case someone else lands on this thread with the same problem. I am also using trying to configure an RV320 with my ATT Gigabit service. When I first tried to configure it I noticed the slower speeds and was frustrated. I set the project aside and recently tried again. This time I was getting 900+Mbps speeds. So I happily proceeded to set up the network. Later, I did another speed test and the speeds had dropped to around 100-125Mbps. 

Then I realized that I had moved by PC to LAN port 1 on the router. I had done that so that I could run Wireshark and trace some traffic. I disabled mirroring to the port but the download speed did not change. Then I moved my PC to LAN port 2 and the speed went back up to 900+Mbps. I tried LAN port 3 and 4. Still getting 900+ speeds. But as soon as I connected on port 1, the speed dropped down to about 100Mbps.

So, I am still not certain why the speed on LAN port 1 is slower but I am getting full speed on the other ports. The RV320 is running firmware v1.4.2.20 (2018-12-24, 15:53:34). The ATT Gateway is an Arris BGW210-700 running v2.6.4.