Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 to RV130 site to site vpn with 1 dynamic IP

Hi,

i need to setup a vpn to connect 2 networks. One of them has a static public IP and is the one im connecting the rv320.

the other one has a dynamic public ip and has the rv130

my problem is that the client doesnt want to pay for anything else (not even dyndns) and i cant seem to connect the rv130 to the rv320 except using the present ip as if it were static.

Considering that the ip is dynamic on the rv130 side this is only a temporary test solution.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

I'm sorry but I'm afraid that using a service like DYNDNS is the only good solution. 

If your customer don't feel ok paying $25 per year for the DYNDNS service, maybe he would like to consider Google's offer called Google Domains, which starts at $12 or $13 per year.

https://support.google.com/domains/answer/6147083?hl=en

I hope this is helpful

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

I'm sorry but I'm afraid that using a service like DYNDNS is the only good solution. 

If your customer don't feel ok paying $25 per year for the DYNDNS service, maybe he would like to consider Google's offer called Google Domains, which starts at $12 or $13 per year.

https://support.google.com/domains/answer/6147083?hl=en

I hope this is helpful

im using a free no-ip ddns as a test and it works if i use their software, but if i use the ddns menu on the rv130 it points to the wan port on the router, not the public address.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I have several tunnels up in this configuration--none with static IPs.  The reality is that if the routers are up 24x7, they will always have the same IP since the lease will always be renewed.  The only time I've seen an IP change is when the ISP is changing subnets and IP pools, which can even make a static IP change.

And the few times an IP changed on me, it was simple to get it working again.  I would just call the ISP, ask for the new IP, remote into the router on the opposite end and change the IP that's 'calling in'.  The tunnel comes back up instantly and we're back to work.  Not even a 5 minute job that I've maybe done twice in 2 years.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com