cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325: EXTREMELY slow internet connection

polarverse
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased an rv325 to replace a dlink 250n.

My internet speed is normally about 20 Mbps down and same up, but when I put the 325 on I'm down to a grinding halt everything is at a snails pace.  I put the 250 back on and everything is normal again.

I have the latest firmware, I tried a reset to factory default and just basic settings to get connected but the same result.  I see others have had this issue per this thread https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12257531/rv325-extremely-slow-internet-connection but never seemed to get an answer.  

Anyone find a solution to this?

6 Replies 6

smartinsurance
Level 1
Level 1

I installed brand new RV325 after fw update to the latest 1.1.1.06 (Dec 2013). During tests it showed either 2Mpbs or 36Mbps and upload usually between 0.01Mbps - 0.2Mbps at the max on a 17Mbps line. It's usually the lower end making our internet connection pretty unusable. Also, I've noticed packet drops for incoming and outgoing connections. Pinging the device is fine thus only WAN1 seem to be affected. I ping 1 machine in a datacentre via VPN tunnel on an internal Class C, external Class A and Google's Class A IP addresses. Only LAN ping to the device doesn't drop packets. We are with BT OpenReach 17Mbps/6Mbps business line via their white modem. All is working fine when plug back in an old Netgear ProSafe FVS138G (even Vodafone's home type Sure Signal booster box is working but not on RV325).

do you have a gig connection on the wan?

is there cat 5e or 6 cable between the router and the modem?

Does it still have the same issue with the cable modem on wan2?

If you are using Gig on the wan, try setting the modem and rv to 100/full.

You can call in for support at 866-606-1866 and open a case these devices have a full year of tech support..

full contact list for small biz support

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Dan

Hi Daniel,

I've spoken to Cisco support several times and we arranged times in the past 48 hours (case number 632878895) when one of your technicians supposed to call me and they didn't twice. I was in the office at 5PM and no one called me. I then spoke to support again and was advised that it's a 24h line and I could give you a ring at 7AM next morning to allow your staff to troubleshoot the device over Webex connection. Though, when rung the lines were closed at 7AM :/. I have done the following in the mean time:

• changed cables between modem, router and Mac for CAT5, CAT5e and CAT6
  • connected router to modem on WAN2 and PPoE
  • set both WAN ports to 100/full although could see it auto-negotiated the same
  • setting MTU to 1500 on both WANs

Nothing worked. I had to revert back to the old router and everything started working again. I presume there might be some compatibility problems between your RV325 and BT's Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B VDSL/FTTC Fibre Modem. I plugged it into my home ASUS DSL-AC68U and it only works fine in Gateway mode (according to documentation Router mode should be used if one is connecting to ISP via other than RV325 device).

I'm thinking about giving up on this device and returning both to Amazon as it's already taken two full days to troubleshoot without any luck.

I'm sorry you're having problems with this device.

If you still want to troubleshoot, we can continue to work on your issue. Please forward this support forums link to the engineer when you call in.  Have them contact me and we'll work together to resolve your issue.  (they may need to create a new case for you, but the other one can be associated).

I noticed there is a newer firmware available on the cisco download site,

RV320/RV325 firmware 1.1.1.19 
RV32X_FW_v1.1.1.19.bin 29-DEC-2014

I reviewed the the release note and didn't see any PPPoE or performance bugs, but there are quite a few issues resolved.

You are correct there there seems to be an incompatibility with the BT modem, especially since the rv325 worked fine and gave good performance with your ASUS DSL-AC68U at a different location.

You are correct though, that the warranty support for Small Business devices is from 9am to 6pm local time. 

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I returned both brand new devices to Amazon after spending three more days on troubleshooting. I even got a spare unlocked version of identical BT modem to be able to monitor its settings and performance.
We're placing an order for a new line setup on Cisco ISR router next week and will try to avoid SMB Cisco products in future for anything more than SOHO as per some forum users' advise. Not being able to troubleshoot problems outside office hours is simply making it too difficult without disrupting business.

Best, David

Hi David,

Sorry for the troubleshooting issues that you have.  For future reference, we offer 24/7 support services for our Small Business product.  For more information, please go here: www.cisco.com/go/sbs

Regards,
Cindy

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!