cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 Upgrade firmware from 1.0.03.18 to 1.0.03.27

fmarshall3
Level 1
Level 1

We're using an RV340-K9-V04 with 1.0.03.18.  It's supporting an important, highly-used VPN.

I'm thinking that the risk of updating the firmware is likely now less that the risk of NOT doing it.

So, if there are any instuctions, suggestions, warnings, etc.  I'd be very appreciative to hear them before we embark on this journey!!

3 Replies 3

Hi

I can see two reason for a device upgrade:  You are facing some issue on the current version or you need some feature that was released on the next version.

Unless you have found some feature on the 1.0.03.27 that you need pretty much, my recommendation is stay where you are if everything is working fine.  Dont try to fix what is not broken.

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi fmarshall3,

There are not really any instructions to perform a firmware upgrade on the RV34x series. As a best practice, we recommend using the latest firmware version to make sure most of the firmware issues are fixed. Fort your reference you can have a look at the resolved issues in the latest 1.0.03.27 firmware https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/RV340/Release_Note/RV34xx_relnote_v1_0_03_27.pdf

Thanks

I generally live in a world where staying up to date with firmware is a *requirement* in order to keep up with vulnerability fixes.

Nonetheless, I agree with “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

In this case, there is less pressure to stay up to date but the principles of doing so should still matter.

Beyond being way behind with security updates, this unit has lost its ability to log into the management GUI interface AND lost its ability to connect the VPN. This has happened twice now in the last few months.  Only a physical power cycle / reboot can fix it.  So, that seems a reason to update the firmware if not to replace the unit.

- In the past, I've known of updates like this one that would be many versions forward from .18 to .27.  In some cases there was an interim version that had to be installed first.  I've not found this need here yet but if anyone knows .......

- Also, there had been a number of mentions of VPN capability being lost with RV340 updates.  Once more, I'd wonder if .27 seems safe in that regard.