cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV345 bricked after 1.0.03.20 upgrade

sandbox
Level 1
Level 1

My remote RV345 appears to have been bricked following an automatic firmware upgrade to 1.0.03.20

The red DIAG led is on solidly, repeated reboots fail to clear the condition and the device remains unserviceable - the only reference I can find is in document SMB5520 describing a red DIAG light "Solid – System has failed to boot with both active and inactive firmware images or in rescue mode"

How can this be recovered or the assumed firmware upgrade be rolled back ? Note the device is 3,500 miles distant from my current location

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Reset to the factory and test it, it will take 10-15min total boot up. still no message - the raise an SMB tac care to RMA

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/smb4347-reset-to-factory-default-settings-on-rv320-and-rv325-vpn-rou.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@sandbox 

Hello,

It does sound very much like the upgrade failed. The only option that you have is to send someone on-site and factory reset the RV345. If then the router again fails to boot, you have to call our STAC to proceed with RMA. 

Contacts are available here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

You can also open up a case online through the web portal: 

https://mycase.cloudapps.cisco.com/case 

Regards,

Martin

byteme
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded an RV340 then did the same for RV340W both successfully.

I was able to login again into my RV340 and browse page menus.

Now the RV340 seems unresponsive for the last few hours but the RV340W is working ok.

I will need to make a visit on site. I really hope the RV340W stays alive and doesn't randomly die like the RV340.

On a side note, it doesn't seem to want to update the signature files. I have to manually download them and upload from PC.

I wanted to provide an update that all my router needed was a power cycle to get it going again on site. All the lights were operating like normal but it seem to block all internet activity after the firmware update. All my settings were intact, I was able to login locally but not through the internet. Everything seems to be operating fine.

So anyone wanting to upgrade, it would be recommended to do it in person.

A D'Auria
Level 1
Level 1

I have so far upgraded 3 routers with success to the 1.0.03.20 firmware. The 4th router however, is stuck on 1.0.03.16. Any attempts to upgrade to the 3.18 or 3.20 firmware causes the router to try to boot the new firmware and then go through the failure-recovery procedure where is tries 4 or 5 times to boot the new firmware and then fails back to the previous. 

Unless someone has a better idea, I will need to go to the location and try a USB upgrade. Failing that, swap out the router.

I still have a few more routers to upgrade and hope the results are better.

Hello A D'Auria,

Your only option is to try to upgrade the router manually either via USB or via a PC with stored firmware. If you then loop again in that failure-recovery procedure, you have to contact STAC and raise a tech support ticket.

Regards,

Martin