cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 Firmware v2.0.0.3 will not save settings

mikek
Level 1
Level 1

I have a RVS4000 that will not save any settings. Click on, for instance, Disable WAN requests. Click save and it goes back to Enable.

If I create a VPN tunnel, click save, it clears all settings like I didn't type anything.

What is going on?

11 Replies 11

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Mike,

Please factory reset this device and load configuration manually(holding reset button for 45 second..factory reset). If this does not work, this could possible be a hardware issue. You would have to call into SBSC @ 1-866-606-1866 and open a support case.

Thanks,

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

Hi there, just wanted to let you know I have the exact same problem with the same firmware.  I've tried resetting, and it hasn't helped.  I've found if you do a reboot and then immediately go change the setting you want, it will stick.

I hope they come out with new firmware soon!

Kyle

I recently purchased the RVS-4000 v2 and setup a single VPN tunnel.  Then I upgraded to the latest firmware v2.0.0.3.  Today, I attempted to add a second tunnel and none of the settings could be saved.  I found that this was not limited to the VPN settings, so the issue is more widespread; although, I was able to do deletions of tunnels, so this appears to be some sort of global-edit-save issue.

My workaround for the moment was to go back 1 level in the firmware, which of course, is always dangerous with any brand or device.  I was not comfortable doing that, but it works for the moment.

Looking at the security issues which v2.0.0.3 addressed, I (and other users) are at a severe disadvantage if we are forced to use firmware prior to v2.0.0.3, and if we do, then we lose edit-save, at the least for VPN, which is why I purchased this to begin with.

So, I'll throw this out to Cisco - the first report of this issue was in August.  It is now almost December and there is NO FIX?  Cisco is supposed to be *the name* in networking devices.  What is going on there?  Was ANY Q/A done on this firmware?  Now that you know it's broken, why isn't it fixed?  I recognize that now you are looking to retire the 4000, but I for one can tell you that this is going to leave a bad feeling with this author if it is done without resolving the obvious issues.  I am very sure you have a firmware engineer who knows what happened here and has a fix.  So, why isn't it out here for end users?  Product manager  - where are you?

AJ, do you have a reference number of your case?

No case number - I just signed up and found this.  One thing I must mention is that I see that I made a mistake in my post which I just realized.  2.0.2.7 is what caused the problem for me.  Going back to 2.0.0.3 has resolved that issue for the moment.  This is why I mentioned the security issues, as there were multiple ones addressed in 2.0.2.7.  I see you're asking Kyle about his browser.  If it means anything, I am using Chrome.

The Chrome browser is not officially supported. Could you try other browsers such as IE or Firefox?

Well, if going to 2.0.0.3 didn't work, then I would try, even though this is a production environment.  The problem must be elsewhere.

Can we escalate this?

Kyle, have you tried the latest RVS4000 firmware 2.0.2.7? Which browser did you use?

Hi there,  I had tried multiple firmwares including the latest one as of Septemeber 2011 (whichever version that was).  I also used both firefox and IE9.

We switched ISPs and I couldn't for the life of me get the new settings to stick, so I threw it out and bought a router of a different brand.

I still have the router if Cisco is willing to replace it, but it's already cost us more in time wasted than the router is worth.  For now I'll stick to other brands that have not let me down.

First give your local Cisco Small Business Support center a call so a case can be opened. I haven’t seen any cases come through support center that isn’t allowing RVS4000 settings not to be saved. A support representative can work with you guys while determining a solution for your problem.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Thanks,

Jasbryan