cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 VLAN Routing

keithl
Level 1
Level 1

The RVS4000 supports 4 active VLANs and has a configuration item to allow routing between VLANs.  To accomplish this (routing between VLANS), we would need independent interface IP addresses for each participating VLAN.  I haven't found where to configure interface IP addresses.

1) does it actually perform routing (i.e. L3 router) functions between 4 VLANs (assuming 4 are active) or does it only provide routing between the single WAN port and only one LAN subnet?

2) assuming it actually does perform routing between VLANs, how do I specify interface addresses?

3) if it doesn't provide routing, what is the purpose of the allow routing between VLANs check box?

4) again if it doesn't really provide routing, what product is best to route between 4 VLANs (NAT not required).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

After VLANs are created, you can go to the page where DHCP Server settings are configured to specify the IP subnet for each VLAN.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

After VLANs are created, you can go to the page where DHCP Server settings are configured to specify the IP subnet for each VLAN.

Thanks for the quick reply, tekliu.

Do I also define an IP address for each VLAN (interface address) on that page?

Can I define the info on the DHCP page without actually using or enabling DHCP (e.g. define a scope with no addresses).

I'm assuming, then, that I could ignore the WAN port and use it as a complete four subnet L3 router (which is exactly what I want).  Sound right?

Yeah, once you create the vlans, you go to the setup tab/lan and there will be a drop down for vlans.  At that point you can specify the ip address of the vlan and turn off dhcp or arrange your dhcp scope as you see fit.

Thanks.  Looks like a very cost effective, small system router!  Been looking for one of these for quite a while.