Views
Helpful
Replies

Small office equipment upgrade

barataaway
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, good day.

I am planning to upgrade my office's equipment in order to accommodate recently acquired servers and to improve our remote connectivity through a more reliable VPN service.

I am *not* a network professional, so I'll be using this little project to learn a bit more on this area. Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

This is the current scenario:
- NBN (internet) + phone + fax, all coming from a wall socket (there's only one) through a coaxial cable to a standard NBN modem (CM8200).
- An ethernet cable runs from the modem to an also standard NBN router (Netgear v7610)
- A phone cable runs from port FXS1 on the router to a handset phone, and from this phone to our fax device (hp printer)
- Another phone cable runs from port FXS2 on the router to a Cisco SPA122 (VoIP to analog converter) and from this device to our main line handset
- An ethernet cable runs to a small 8p unmanaged tp-link switch that provides network to our servers.
- All the user devices on the office are wireless (laptops, mobile phones etc), so users (20-ish) connect via wi-fi to the network.
- Those same users can also remote connect via VPN to the office network.

What I want to do:
- Use a Cisco router instead of the current Netgear. It should

- Be rack-mountable/1U
- Support NBN
- Have SSL VPN
- Have 16 ports
- Have PoE ports, as I also want to add 2 Access Points
- Have support to both phone and fax lines
- Dual WAN or at least support 4g/3g dongle via USB for internet failover

My initial idea was to swap the Netgear for a Cisco RV345P router with two WAP150-A-K9-AU Access Points, but I got stuck with the FAX/Phone lines situation. Should I just request my ISP to add another wall socket only for the phone line and go from there? Is there any Cisco router that would do what the Netgear does today?

By the way, we only have those 2 phone lines in the office. There are no phone extensions.

I'm open to suggestions and the requirements are flexible.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco RV345P router with two WAP150-A-K9-AU  - this should do, there is some emulator available for RV check more features and see if that works all.

FAX gone long back, you can use email to FAX Server replace from traditional FAX facilty.

FXS Line, still you can use ATA adapter in the  network. (or ask provider they can offer you SIP Line instead of old FXS port).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco RV345P router with two WAP150-A-K9-AU  - this should do, there is some emulator available for RV check more features and see if that works all.

FAX gone long back, you can use email to FAX Server replace from traditional FAX facilty.

FXS Line, still you can use ATA adapter in the  network. (or ask provider they can offer you SIP Line instead of old FXS port).

BB

Thank you for your reply BB, it's much appreciated.

You are right about the FAX line and fortunately my provider has the FAX Server service. I'll go with that.

In regards to the ATA adapter, do you think Cisco ATA SPA232D would be suitable? It seems to be the one, as it has a 100MBps throughput that is in fact my connection speed. So, my understanding is that this device would sit between the NBN Modem and the Cisco RV345P router, right? So all traffic goes thorough the ATA adapter *before* reaching the router. Is that correct?

Thank you.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Generally

ISP Router---RV345---ATA and LAN users

BB