cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

time-out problems with RV320 (after upgrade from RV042)

goaconsult
Level 1
Level 1

config:

dual wan

WAN1: 4G router (DHCP) - approx 25Mbit/ 8Mbit

WAN2: PPOE (DSL) - 1 Mbit/ 0.2 Mbit

worked with a RV042 before and upgraded to a RV320 now.

all other things are unchanged.

3 problems - 2 solved/ not critical - one still open:

a) not critical:  DHCP Status does not include all devices (changing view - but all-time problem)

I would suspect a software bug.... DHCP itself works perfectly/ IPs are assigned (just not shown in status)

b) solved (at least for now):  internet connection featured time-outs; after many tries, disabling the SPI in the firewall helped

btw: this only happend for the WAN1 - WAN2 worked  (or is that slow that the additonal wait time did not matter ;-)

c) very annoying: exchange connection (from Outlook client to external exchange) still has time-outs (mostly the whole mail client hangs/ ends to be restarted).

As soon as I disable WAN1, it works!  But it´s not the LTE WAN itself - switching back to the RV042 does not show the same symptom.

I tried: include IP into local DNS (in general I work with google DNS servers - but changing that does not help either), opening all traffic for teh realevant IPs and disabling the firewall completely.  no positive results....

thanks for any hints....

6 Replies 6

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I agree with you on a, probably a bug of some sort.

b is an issue I've seen before, and even on similar bandwidth (25/5) on my rv016.  What was able to figure out is that the carrier (ISP) is sending about 4k/sec of ICMP packets to the router, which in turn makes the router think it's under attack so it drops the connection.  As you can tell, disabling the SPI helps.  For me, putting another router in front of my rv016 (on 2 of 3 wans) was my only 'permanent' solution.

c sounds like there's a protocol binding/static route in the rv042 that you need to add to the rv320.  I'd check that first.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

goaconsult
Level 1
Level 1

..thanks. However I have found nothing on the old 042 that I could copy/ use... looks pretty standard

I have watched the exchange problem - it seems to happen only while sending mails or updating the calendar. So more like sending than receiving packages....

This will make sense since if it uses a different WAN than the original connection, the server will see it coming from a different IP and deny the connection.  You have to bind the protocol to one WAN or the other to keep it from changing WANs midstream.

Vince Ready
Level 1
Level 1

I have the exact same situation.  Upgraded to RV320 from an RV042 and now have persistent timeouts (especially on pages which pull in content from a lot of external sources such as CDNs, ad servers, etc.) with HTTP traffic coming in over WAN1.

I am also see the issue reported above with not all DHCP clients showing up under DHCP Status.  Agree that it's annoying, but not critical, since the DHCP server otherwise seems to be working OK.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Sounds like you both have discovered a bug in the firmware.  I wonder if the DHCP and traffic are related?

Either way, if I could switch back to the rv042 (the solution that worked), I'd just do that and wait for the rv320 to become a more stable product.

cmcginn01
Level 1
Level 1

Hans,

Did you ever get a solution to the exchange connection issue with the RV320 Router?  I am having the exact problem.

thank you!