cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two RVS4000 connected via IPSEC - Connection drops constantly

julian.viso
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends: I have a customer whom I installed two RVS4000 v1 to connect his two locations.  I am using IPSEC. His network at home runs several IP Phones and IP Cameras and he uses the VPN connection to monitor his office cameras too.  The problem is that the VPN connection drops constantly.  I can sometimes establish the connection by re-booting one of the RVS4000 routers (usually the one in town closer to my office) but sometimes I can not.  I have to specify that in his house he has a true static ip address but at his remote location(his office) he has what his ISP calls "sticky IP address".  I have noticed that when I connect my laptop to his remote RVS4000 it does not give my laptop an IP address, then, I re-boot the router and it does give me one. I replaced the router with a brand new one and it does the same.  I am able to establish the VPN connection temporarily and then the customer calls me back telling me that his IP phones are down.  Sometimes also happens that it is his home router that hangs or does not respond when I try to log in remotely, so I just tell him to re-boot his home router. 

I am wondering if the "sticky IP address" could be a problem.  I don't see anything wrong in my configuartion of the VPN IPSEC tunnel since sometimes stays up for a few days and then it drops.  Could anyone help me out as to how I should approach this problem since I am really out of alternatives.  This week we have a new company which will be able to provide a true static IP address instead of this "sticky IP" address.

What is also really strange is that the routers seem to hang for no reason.  The first thing I do when I come to his office is to connect my laptop to one of the ports in the router to get an IP address but  it does not happen.

I have been confused also as to what is the latest firmware upgrade for this router. It seems to me that there is a newer firmware for the RVS4000v2 but I am not sure.  His RVS4000 routers have Version 1.3.1.0.

I would really appreciate and thank in advance anybody who can guide me to solve this problem.

Thanks so much to all who respond my call

Sincerely,

Julian Viso

1 Reply 1

riroe
Level 3
Level 3

The latest firmware for the RVS4000 v1 is 1.3.2.0 and the latest firmware version for the RVS4000 v2  is 2.0.0.3.  Hope this helps.

THANKS