Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to use Dynamic DNS from private subnet on RV110W

Complicator
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have RV110W connected in private network 192.168.5.0/24, I have redirected pptp port from adsl modem to the RV110W and VPN works OK.

DDNS on the adsl modem is not available.

I need to use Dynamic DNS functionality on my RV110W. The device supports several DDNS services (TZO.com, DynDNS.com, 3322.org and noip.com). For all but TZO the public "Internet IP Address" shows as 192.168.5.110, which also gets auto registered with the DDNS service -

I have tested this with free noip.com account and this is obviously undesired behavior. I need the router to register my real public IP.

For TZO it shows the proper public IP, but TZO service is no longer available on TZO.com.

Any suggestions?

11 Replies 11

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Radim, this isn't something you can fix on the RV router. This is something you need to have the non-authoritive response updated by the ISP to be that of your public IP.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

thanks for your response. It has nothing to do with my ISP though.

I have dynamic IP from my ISP which gets updated at irregular intervals. I need to use DDNS service like noip.com, to be able to always connect to my router via DNS name like "myrv110w.noip.com" no matter what public IP the adsl modem gets assigned. Thats what the DDNS is for.

RV110W's job is to regularly update noip.com with my public IP. It does that, but it provides noip.com with private IP, because RV110W's WAN port is configured with that private IP.

It actaully worked 1 year ago with TZO, but not anymore (they were acquired by another company).

The dns is producing a non-authoritive response.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Tom,

1. I do not see what/whose DNS are you referring to
  2. I do not need authoritative response from any DNS server. Both my ISP's DNS and NOIP DNS are providing authoritative answers. I have no problem with resolving or registering DNS names.
  3. I do not see how is your statement related to my problem

Yes TZO was acquired by Dyn last fall, but there have been no changes to the TZO infrastructure. TZO servers are still currently running as before and if it worked last year it still should work today. If the issue cannot be resolved sent and email to support@tzo.com and they will be more than willing to help you.

Hi Radim, I do not know what you know but I have seen exactly this problem and resolved this problem. I will explain authorative and non-authorative DNS to you.

An authoritive name server is what provides information by an original source which works from the master server for all zone records.

A non-authorative name server does not contain copies of any domains. They just cache a file from DNS lookups which received an authorative response previously. But they cannot be authorative if they do not contain the specific zone files.

But yes, you do need authorative dns response. If the cache file isn't update, your stuff is broken. It is an avenue to look at, discredit that as much as you like, you're asking for help.

-Tom

Thanks Tom, I know the difference between authoritative or non-auth. responses. I have no problems with non-authoritative responses. And again I do not see how it would relate to my problem.

For illustration purpose I have created the hostname

myrv110w.no-ip.org

you can see that you can get authoritative answer from nf1.no-ip.com nameserver. But the answer is of absolutely no value.

I still have the same error, and i dont know how to fix it!

on my RV320 in the DDNS screen i have "Internet IP Address: 0.0.0.0" and in mý no-ip account i have a local network IP (192.168.0.254), not the external IP

Thanks Michael for clarification. I don't know about their infrastructure, but most of the links are redirected to Dyn.

Moreover I do not really want to use TZO/Dyn as they are not providing free service anymore. I really don't see why I should pay for some service just because the cisco router is not working with other services.

Allan May
    Level 1
    Level 1

I still have the same error, and i dont know how to fix it! what i doing wrong?

on my RV320 in the DDNS screen i have "Internet IP Address: 0.0.0.0" and in mý no-ip account i have a local network IP (192.168.0.254), not the external IP.

I have the same problem.

If I use an Opnwrt router my Dynamic no-ip address updates OK.

If I use the Dynamic update client on the PC it updates OK.

However if I enter the No-IP credentials in the Cisco RV110W it sends the private address it has on the Wan.

This looks probably to be a bug in the Cisco where it does not allow and external service like Whats my IP to do the lookup but relies only on the DNS.

There should be an option to use a 3rd party service for public IP lookup as without this I am going to have a problem as all of my installs will be behind a Vsat Modem !