cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wan fallover with RV320 too slow and set up question

jsshear01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I just set up my new RV 320 today. I have Wan1 connected to my cable modem and Wan 2 connected to my DSL modem. Wan 1 I have it set to obtain and IP automatically and I tried that for Wan 2 but this did not work so I used PPoE and enterered my User Name and Password that I used in the configuration of my DSL modem. Now it works. But why do I have to enter these details as my modem is already configured with it? In my old Cisco RV 086 I had it set to obtain and IP automatically and it worked fine. Also I have been testing the fallover and unplugging one of my Wan connections and it takes about 20-30 seconds to fall over to the connected Wan. Is this the correct speed or is there a way to have it fallover faster?

Thank you

Jeff

2 Replies 2

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Customer,

Thank you for reaching the Small Business Support Community.

A few things I can suggest you in order to speed up the Dual WAN failover process;

* Firewall > General; uncheck SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) that keeps monitors the state of WAN1 network connection.

* System Management > Dual WAN, uncheck “Network Service Detection” that attempts to ping an outside IP address before establishing the failover connection

* Check the “Keep Alive” setting under the WAN2, PPPoE settings, This option keeps your connection active indefinitely, even when the link sits idle for an extended period of time.

Why you have to enter the PPPoE settings on the router if the xDSL modem is already in charge of the PPPoE negotiation? I just don't know, it is not supposed to work like that as far as I understand and I then suggest you to open a service request to figure this out;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/sbcountrysupport

I hope you find this information useful and please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is any further assistance I may help you with.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

System mngmt > dual wan > wan 1 (select) > edit, default setting should be retry 3 and interval 10 seconds with the action log and remove connection.  Basically that means if wan 1 goes down by what even network detection method you chose it will check the wan 1 connection 3 times at 10 second interval to verify and not until the 3rd failed attempt will it switch to wan 2.  Sounds like 20-30 seconds is what it should be for the default setting.  You can change the settings if you like.