cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where can I download the 1.3.5 firmware?

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SG300-10MP and I want to upgrade the firmware.  I downloaded the most recent firmware version (1.4.13) and attempted to upgrade the file (current version is 1.3.0.62).  I got the usual "illegal sofware format" error - did the research, and found out that I needed to do a jump upgrade to 1.3.5 first.

The problem is - where can I download the file.  The download area only has old 1.1 versions and the new 1.4 versions.

So, anyone know where I can get the 1.3.5 version to do the upgrade?

12 Replies 12

Glenn Martin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jeffrey,

You mean you downloaded 1.4.1.03? In this .zip file you will see:two files:

Sx300_boot-13506.rtf and Sx300_fw-1413.ros

Follow the instructions for upgrading F/W and Boot images

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Glen -  THanks for responding.  I downloaded 1.4.1.03.zip from the Cisco site.  I unzipped it and it produced the two files that you mentioned.

What instructions are you referring to?  I followed instructions that I found on the web.  Set up a TFTP server and installed the boot image first.  I rebooted the switch.  Next I tried to use the same TFTP server to upgrade the firmware file.  This is when I go the Illegal Software Format error.  When I Google'd that error message, all of the hits indicated the two stage upgrade with the intermediary upgrade to version 1.3.5 or 1.3.7 first.

This is where the issue lies.  Those versions of firmware are not available on the download site

Hi Jeffrey,

Sorry if I was too vague.. 

The file 13506 is the 1.3.5 file you're looking for. along with the Firmware image..

The boot file is loaded through TFTP...

When you go to:

Admin -> File Management -> Upgrade/backup Firmware

you'll notice the boot option is grey when the HTTP/HTTPS is selected. If you choose the TFTP option everything becomes active.

Here's a quick instructional video that might also help.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3VSsSOWMzo

Also, if this information help will you please "rate" this instructoin and mark the post as "Correct" for future users. 

Thanks

Glenn

Glen -  One of us is confused (and it may very well be me).  As I stated in my last, I performed the steps that you indicated.  I downloaded the zip file and extracted the two files.  I successfully upgrated the boot file.  The issue that I am having is with the firmware file.  When I attempt to update the firmware file, using the TFTP transfer process, I receive the "Illegal Software Format" error.  I have also watched the Youtube video, but it does not solve my issue.

I refer you to the following link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12286911/sg300-firmware-upgrade-copy-illegal-software-format

Others have had the same issue and it appears that the solution is a two step upgrade process - with an intermediate stop at Firmware version 1.3.5.  Note firmware - not bootloader.  This CIsco support forum thread is about a year old.

So, my problem remains - where can I get a copy of this firmware?

hi Jeffrey:

Again, I do apologize..

Upgrade to 1.3.5.58 first, then step up to 1.4.1.03 (It's on CCO Software Download Center)

Thanks,

Glenn

ok, I found a workaround. 

Glen - there is NO firmware version 1.3 on the download site for the model switch that I have (SG300-10MP).  However, the file IS located on the download site for the POE+ model switch (SG300-10MPP).  I grabbed that 1.3.5 version firmware and used that to make th jump up to the version 1.4.1.03

Hopefully this will helps others who are trying to find the file and to let them know that they have to find it for a different model switch than the one that they have

Great Jeffrey. I'm sorry the Release notes wasn't clear on this.. i'll have this address internally. Glad it worked out for you.. 

Both 1.3.5.x and 1.3.7.x firmwares are still only located in the POE version of the SG300-28 download area.  It took me over an hour to finally find this forum entry that explains where you can actually download them.  NOT GOOD!

I'm glad this finally got fixed!

It's still hidden in a pretty obscure fashion -- I had to take a couple of moments to realize that on the side nav links in the downloads page, the firmware versions are not necessarily in strict numerical order across hierarchies:  mine had "1.4," "1.1," and "1" -- but the 1.3.x firmware files were under the "1" header.  ("Well, it's not like they said '1.0,'" says the little strict-mathematician voice in my head!  "But that's still a pretty obtuse user experience," the little UX/UI-developer voice in my head says.  You can imagine they make for troublesome roommates.)

Nearly 3 years later and this is still an issue...

Thanks for saving me a stack of time guys!

Solution much appreciated.

After 5 years and there was no solution, there is not version 1.3.5 oftof the firmware to download

The 1.3.x it's inside the 1.x tree..  I've just downloaded it, and upgraded an old SG300 without any issue.