cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless clients on WRVS4400n cannot access server

tromance1
Level 1
Level 1

I am hoping someone might have an idea on this as I am stumped.  When clients connect wirelessly to the WRVS4400N they successfully get a DHCP address from the Windows 2008 server.  After they have the address they can no longer access the server.  It cannot be pinged, no drives can be mapped and internet access fails because the same server is running DNS.  The WRVS4400N is setup for DCHP relay to the server.  Wired clients do not have this problem.  Wireless clients that connect to a secondary WAP on the same LAN also do not experience this problem.  I have updated the router to the latest firmware version, reset it to factory defaults and reconfigured from scratch.  Turning the server firewall off has not made any difference either.  I have been able to bypass the internet problem by adding a second external DNS server in the DHCP scope options.  Any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Tim,

Very strange as i have not seen this issue before. If you are only using one vlan then you don't need DHCP relay enabled. If you're only using one vlan please just disabled DHCP. You only need to enabled a relay agent when sending a DHCP broadcast across multiple vlans. Now if you're have more than one vlan with a windows server a know issue (product limitation) we tend to see DHCP bleed over and nothing can be done on this issue as it's product limitations.

Jasbryan

Jasbryan,

I have only one VLAN so I did as you suggested and just disabled DHCP.  This is how I had the router setup originally.  After the router rebooted everything worked.  All wireless clients could access the DNS server and use the internet. Unfortunately this only lasted for two days and then reverted to the same problem.  I made zero changes in the interim because I wanted to see if in fact everything would continue to work over a longer period of time.  I have a router from another manufacturer ordered just to see if I can narrow down the problem to the router, server or something else on the network. I would prefer to keep the WRVS4400n but this problem is driving me nuts!

Tim

kobilraz1
Level 1
Level 1

I am not sure if this is related, but I have a similar problem with the WRVS4400N where my Windows7 HomeGroup starts degrading after sometime for the wireless clients. The similarity might be that there might be a problem with NetBIOS messages on the wireless side. There might be a wider problem with all types of messages that NetBIOS messages are just suffering from it more severely (in my case). This is my guess, but you may want to investigate this.

Kobi,

I was just about to say i seen another post with someone else having similar issue but went back and noticed that you posted that one as well about netbios. Tim what is the serial number on your unit?

Jasbryan

Serial number is SER140906O0.