cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRV210 Wireless failing.

bryanchandler
Level 1
Level 1

Just installed a WRV210 at a small office. The wireless network is failing every few days. The SSID is still visible, but people are unable to connect to it when they try. Only after restarting the router does wireless return to working status.

I'm unable to return the router to the seller.  What can I do to troubleshoot this?

Hardware Version: WRV210-A V01

Software Version: 2.0.0.11

20 Replies 20

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for posting. I had a similar issue with a WRV210 and after I disabled all logging the wireless started working fine. It seems that with logging enabled the router was getting bogged down over time. That being said, you may have a completely different problem. If you haven't already, try setting the channel to "Auto", use "G only" and WPA2-Personal if possible. Also, if you updated the firmware yourself make sure you factory default the router and manually reconfigure it. Sometimes the configuration file can be corrupted when a new firmware is installed.

Thanks for the reply.

This router was installed w/ the current firmware already installed, so no need to do a factory reset.

Logging was never turned on, so this isn't my issue.

I'll try setting the channel to auto & to "G Only" mode.  I ususally do a wirelss survey of the site to determind the least used channel & set it appropriately.

If there are no issues in two weeks, (or if the changes made don't help) I'll report back my findings.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, our client has reported that the wirless failed again.  Only rebooting the router fixes the issue.

Do I have any options other than never buying a Cisco product again?

Bryan,

Have you tried doing a wireless scan of the network to see if there is wireless interference on your wireless channel?

Wireless although convenient, is not a very stable technology and if someone is on your channel or overlapping your wireless channel this could have an adverse affect on your network.

The program I use when troubleshooting wireless is called Inssider.  It is a great tool which gives you a graphed picture of what is happening wirelessly alone with mac-addresses, channels, ssid, device id, and how much interference.

Is it all clients that lose the wireless connectivity or just some of them? 

Your not by chance using cordless phones on the 2.4 ghz band are you?  If so that can cause interference with your wireless.

In my 2nd post, I did state that:

"I ususally do a wirelss survey of the site to determind the least used channel & set it appropriately." Which I did perform at this site.

I choose a channel (11) that was at least 3 channels away from any other wireless signal on site.

Only 2 users are connected normally, and this is when it fails. They will work fine for a few days, then any attempt to connect to the signal fails.

There are no cordless phones used in their office, but I can't speak for other offices in their building. They office is at least 50ft from any other offices though.

Bryan,

Do you know if when they drop connection, can they put a static ip address on the computer and connect to the ssid or is it still the same?

I have not, though I'm not recieving the usual error when DHCP fails of, "limited or no connectivity." The error reported by Windows is, "Cannot estabish connection" or something to that effect.

I wonder if when the device goes down, does it show up on the wireless scan?

If that is the case, you may have a defective device.

The rest of the lan does it drop off or just the wireless?

The SSID still shows up when I scan on their machines.

Only wireless drops. LAN stays up & runs fine.

Is it possible to backup your configurations, do a firmware upgrade, then factory reset the device and reload the configs?

If you could do that we can see if the device is still doing the same thing or if the firmware flash resolved the issue.

I'll try that.

Ok,

Let me know how it goes.

I've been having the same issue. I just turned off logging to see if that helps.

You guys ever find a solution to this?

If you are still experiencing problems please give us a call at the Cisco Small Business Support Center

(1-866-606-1866) USA so that we can open a case for you. 

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business Support Center