cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N - Can't Update Firmware

jojodancer123
Level 1
Level 1

We need to update the firmware for a small business router WRVS4400N.  Unfortunately, I can't even burn the ISO file to CD after downloading it as instructed. I get the following error message:  "The selected disk image file Isn't valid."  I'm using a Windows 7 Ultimate computer.

I downloaded the proper firmware update for my version V2.0.1.3 router several times, but each time I get the same message. 

The main reason we purchased this router for our business for for the extra layer of protection with ProtectLink. It has been over two years now, and we still have not got our ProtectLink service installed because we are unable to install the service until the firmware is updated. 

After doing some research online, we found-out that the ISO file needs to be padded to 2 Kb in order to be valid for burning.  The ISO firmware file you provide for this update is not according to my calculations.  We have no way of converting the file myself and don't know what to do about this situation.

We are extremely taken-back at the fact that I must submit my issue here on a forum rather than address the issue directly to Cisco Support. We are very disappointed with Cisco support as they appear to want to charge additional money just to get an initial shipped-problem remedied. You would think that the company that essential built the internet infrastructure would be more considerate to their customers.  We will never purchase another Cisco product given this level of terrible support. 

I'm hoping to get some information here so as to get this router working as intended two years ago.

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Joseph, first to clear things up, small business support center does not charge incident fees unless you are out of phone support warranty. But, to answer your question, this sounds like a Windows related issue. When you're downloading a file, it sounds like your operating system is trying to save it to a software burning application.

To use a firmware, it is not related to an ISO image or burning to anywhere. The actual process is simply downloading the file then opening the GUI of the router, browsing the file location and then uploading to the router. There is not any additional steps. The file itself is a .img file so there is not any additional steps (like unzipping or something).

I'd recommend you look in to how your operating is saving files and to where.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/